E6400 Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Higach

In Runtime
Hey I recently just built the system in my sig. I havent overclocked it at all and am at all stock. I was wondering since you dont need to raise the cpu voltage until about 325x8, if i just raised it from 266x8 stock to 300x8 stock and went from 2.13ghz to 2.4ghz on the stock hsf will i encounter any problems? I wasnt gonna do any OCing until i eventually got a zalman but from what i understand the temps wont really raise if you dont increase voltage so would that be something easy i can do without having to worry about memory and instability problems?

In a nutshell I plan to just increase fsb from 266 to 300 with stock cooling and startup and do some stress tests is that ok to do and do i need to mess with anything besides that?

or should i start small with maybe 280x8 and test it?

Do it in small increments just to be sure, is what i've been told.

Just to be on the safe side, imagine the worst, that jumping such a big step went wrong and fried it, i dno though, i've never overclocked.

2.4 GHz?

Your fine.

Just remember. Your temps will stay relatively the same unless you give it more voltage.

Go ahead and do 340x8. You wont need any extra voltage, nor will your CPU. Just set the FSB to 340

You can keep your ram at 400 MHz, as that's what the speed it's most stable at, and before you get into any serious clocking, just leave it stock for now.

Ok right now I am at 300x8 2.4Ghz and it seems to be exactly the same temps as before, but the ram is now at 450mhz with a 2:3 ratio.. How can i change the ratio to 3:4 so it goes back to 400mhz do i just do that in bios as well?

Anyone know how/where to change the ram ratio? is it in the BIOS (I cant seem to find it anywhere) or is it done differently like the video card?

( sorry to keep bumping :( ) Here is a pic of my cpu-z now that its at 2.511 Ghz (314x8) But my memory is now running at 470 cuz of the 2:3 ratio... still wondering how i can change this.. right now I have it on auto cuz when i set it to 400Mhz it just goes to 470 anyway cuz of the ratio.. I am wondering if it will go to a 1:1 ratio if i kept on cranking it or not cuz I cannot find a ram ratio in BIOS for the life of me...

is it bad that my memory is going up this high (It is G.Skill DDR2-800)

http://home.comcast.net/~jdowns2700/cpuztimes.JPG

You may need to up the voltage on the ram later if its not already unstable with 470mhz.

Use two instances of prime 95 or dl orthos to test a dual core. As far as temp programs....did the biostar come with some kind of utility? If not then run the two instances of prime 95 (or one instance of orthos) and show what temps you get with speed fan (wait about 5 min to get a good load temp).

edit: if the temps increase really fast and goes by 60*c, then stop the stress test...just in case ;).

every test i do (doing orthos now) from the program that came on the Mobo CD to check fan speeds and temps goes to about 54 C max and just bounces between 51-54. The fan is suppose to go to high speed at 55 C so most likely the actual temps are about +2 degrees so probably 53-56 C.

That seems alright with stock cooling @ 2.56ghz? (320x8)

EDIT: also How long should i let these stress tests go without any errors before my system is "Stable"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom