Quad (Multi) GPU really worth buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
im planning on getting an AM3 mobo, 3 PCI, 2-4 PCI-E 2.0, that will support AMD's quad-cores.

i need a good opinion about this, is it worth getting a 3-4 PCI-E 2.0 mobo, or should i get one with only 2 PCI-E 2.0 slots?

if i go for the 2 PCI-E, then i can save myself a ton of money off a 1000w power supply i was thinking of getting, which has 3 x 8 pin connectors for PCI-E 2.0. Don't know where to order this thing, but i bet it cost a **** a lot of money:

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Power/ToughPower/W0132/w0132.asp

anyone experienced 3-4 GPUs or 2 n r worthing tell me to either get quad, or 3, or 2 PCI-E 2.0 slots?

i just want 2x the performance of a single video card, im planning on getting the R600 later this year.

R600 can only do Crossfire, Plus an ATI Physics.

R600 is not dual core.

AM3 is way ahead of us.

Slow down.

What's your budget?

yea dude your htinking way to far into the future who knows if multi gpus will ever really kick off

i mean sli and crossfire using 2 cards hasnt really been huge yet, thhe price for performance aspect is not to good right now

Lord AnthraX said:
R600 can only do Crossfire, Plus an ATI Physics.

R600 is not dual core.

AM3 is way ahead of us.

Slow down.

What's your budget?

im unemployed.........n im hoping to get a job real soon, im planning on collecting over $3000 to spend on my computer.

i know R600 is not dual core, im talking about like, for example, 4 R600's on a mobo.

hopefully if all goes well, i can have over $3000 by the end of this year to upgrade, first im buying the R600 once i get the money that is, then my case to a full-tower (still looking for a good one).

after that, ill work my *** off to get the rest of the money by the end of December or early Januray.

i plan on getting AM3 along with 2 x 2GB DDR2 (or DDR3) SDRAM, AMD's quad-core (second one, forgot codename), n another R600, or R680, or R700 if it comes out next January.

fade2black2004 said:
yea dude your htinking way to far into the future who knows if multi gpus will ever really kick off

i mean sli and crossfire using 2 cards hasnt really been huge yet, thhe price for performance aspect is not to good right now

ya i know, but think if it as...........my new year's resolution lol, my general plan on fully upgrading my computer.

i really want at LEAST to have 2 x PCI-E 2.0 slots n a powerful power supply that has at LEAST 2 x 8 pin connectors to handle the R600, R680, etc.

EDIT:

plus, AMD just announced the 'Quadx4' socket F mobo, n ive seen pics of some mobos with at least 3 PCI-E slots

Wildside said:
im unemployed.........n im hoping to get a job real soon, im planning on collecting over $3000 to spend on my computer..

That's smart...

Wildside said:
i know R600 is not dual core, im talking about like, for example, 4 R600's on a mobo..

Did you read what I said? R600 can only do crossfire, No 4GPU's.

Wildside said:
hopefully if all goes well, i can have over $3000 by the end of this year to upgrade, first im buying the R600 once i get the money that is, then my case to a full-tower (still looking for a good one)..
Check out the stacker...you'll need it, these R600's are going to be long

Wildside said:
after that, ill work my *** off to get the rest of the money by the end of December or early Januray..

Interesting. What job?

Wildside said:
i plan on getting AM3 along with 2 x 2GB DDR2 (or DDR3) SDRAM, AMD's quad-core (second one, forgot codename), n another R600, or R680, or R700 if it comes out next January.

R700? :freak:

Dude what the fack. Ok I don't mean to sound rude, but seriously, you really don't sound educated on this subject at all, you just sound like one of those people who just buys/wants the most expensive crap that you find on toms hardware :rolleyes:

Lord AnthraX said:
That's smart...

Interesting. What job?

Dude what the fack. Ok I don't mean to sound rude, but seriously, you really don't sound educated on this subject at all, you just sound like one of those people who just buys/wants the most expensive crap that you find on toms hardware :rolleyes:
haha r700. ok man sorry but serioulsy slow down. go freeze your self for 2 years then r700 and quad amd will be out... patience my friend.

Lord AnthraX said:
That's smart...

Interesting. What job?

R680 n R700 r future GPUs coming out later this year n early next, read about on wikipedia.com

but u know what? u got a point, ill just go with 2 PCI-E 2.0 slots then, thx, no quad, if it ever happens. I can save money on a power supply n got for one that i can afford.

im trying to get a job at Cold Stone, it's like a half a mile from where i live, plus my sister's friends work there.

to clear a few things up on what im trying to do, im trying to get the best of the best, but not go too far on products i dont need, reason i made this forum to get help on deciding on getting quad or dual (didnt understand earlier when u said that but now i do).

In all honesty, I recommend that the FIRST thing you do is get some means of income to start saving up for the PC.

Secondly, don't worry about what you are going to get NOW, do RESEARCH NOW, and when you starting getting some money stashed away, THEN think about specifically what hardware you are going to look into...

2b. Do research at places OTHER than Wikipedia. I love Wiki's, but they aren't written in stone. Any bone head can sign up and alter a page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom