How much AS5 should be used on a processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprtnbsblplya

Daemon Poster
I'm building my Asus S96J notebook today when I get home from school, and I was curious how much Arctic Silver 5 to use on the CPU and GPU.
I always heard to use as little as possible (which I did in my desktop CPU), but when I saw this website, http://consumer.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTE1ODEzMjY0NTZDTm0yN1ZyeWhfNF84X2wuanBn , they used a ton on the CPU.
What do you guys think I should do for this?
I'm using a Core Duo T2400 processor.
Also, what rules apply for applying the AS5 to the X1600 GPU (the little black chip to the lower left of the CPU in the picture.
Thanks in advance.

Yeah a small grain of rice. I then use a piece or plastic wrap over my finger to spread it around a bit in a circular motion so just a thin layer is on top, staying away from the edges to it doesn't run off the processor.

i dont think that there is much more than a grain or so on that cpu, its just squashed on and cured i think.
it doesn't take much to cover the cpu when pressure is applied.
look at arctic silver website.
they say grain of rice size and don't spread it out. your hsf will do that when you seat it.

Use enough to spread it around the CPU. I'm not sure how well the X1600 will mount since I only used it on the CPU (T5500). The stock pads are pretty thick.

In my opinion you don't need to spread it out, just let the pressure of the heatsink take care of stuff. My thermal compound was perfectly spread over the surface when I took the HSF off and checked.

A grain of rice is indeed a nice measure, it does not hurt to have a little more, but you must be able to see the cpu/gpu through the paste.

I think they updated their instructions for dual core processors.

A line down the center is the new instructions - it covers more area.

I find the best results when blobbing it on and making a thin layer by smoothing it out with a credit card. Be sure to try and rotate the heatsink per arctic 5's instructions though - it will fill in the interstitial spacings and inconsistencies due to machining, plus push out any air bubbles that might be present.

For AMD K8 CPU's, the Grain method works perfectly.

But for Core 2 Duos, I find that if I get a razor and spread it thinly across the IHS, it gives much better results then a grain.

For GPU's, do the same thing. Cover the whole thing and make sure it's as flat as possible. Same with south and north bridge if you are ever interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom