Overclocking not registering in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalliArt882

Daemon Poster
Hi, I have a e6600 sitting on a Gigabyte DS3 965p motherboard. I am trying overclocking for the first time right now. Since I was going for 3.2 Ghz with a Zalman and AS5 cooling, I set the fsb to 356 and voltage to 1.43750. I have the memory setting set to AUTO, so it kicked the memory from 800 to 1068 (Corsair XMS2 Dominator).

I save the changes in the BIOS, and restarted. I went into the BIOS again to verify my settings, and they were still there. I checked my temps, and they went up from 28C on stock speeds to 40C because of the higher voltage.

So now, I'm in Windows. Yes, I did uninstall EasyTune5 first because I feared that might interfere with the OC. But, I guess the OC is not registering because the Windows device manager says both cores are still at 2.4Ghz, and Coretemp still says my voltage is 1.2750.

I'd like to apologize in advance because I am a noob OCer and this is my first time doing anything. Whatever I did, it can't be that bad because the rig is as stable as ever. For safety's sake, I'll go back to the BIOS and revert to the original settings while I wait for an answer. Thanks.

I don't believe that's true, I think windows senses whatever it's set to run at. Are you sure you're saving the modifications? It's a stupid one but it could be the problem. Well I could be wrong though so try CPU-Z and see what it says.

Are you looking at the system properties? It will list the processor as:

Computer:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 cpu
6600 @2.40ghz
3.2ghz, how ever much ram you have.

Ive discovered that if you lower the multiplier, windows will still use the default multiplier. I have my e6600 at 8x425, but windows tells me im at 3.83ghz (9x425).

Also the ds3 has a slightly worse vdrop then most p965 boards, as i just found that out after helping spartan1121 overclock his e6300 on his ds3. And coretemp might read the vcore even lower. Try cpu-z and see if its higher. If not then you might have a bad motherboard cause that vdrop would be pretty bad.

Oh make sure you updated your bios too just in case.

I was having the same problem when I set up my DS3 build.

Problem: I was running on BIOS version F3

Solution: use the @BIOS program (look through the motherboard CD for it...for some reason it doesn't install with the drivers and stuff) and then download the newest BIOS from Gigabyte (F7 or F8 may be out)

Once you get your BIOS updated it should work just fine.

ALSO...a trick you may not have noticed yet: when you're in BIOS press Ctrl + F1 and it unlocks a bunch more OCing options (like ram timings...etc)

If you need anything else just PM me and good luck

Alright well I downloaded CPU-Z while I was on original settings again. Then, I reseted and went back into BIOS, changed settings again, saved. Then, the computer restarted again like it should, but I get no screen and the fans are full speed.

I can tell the rig is not responding to anything because usually it automatically turns the GPU fan speed down a couple seconds after it boots. But it's not because I can tell my gpu fan speed is full and it sounds like a hairdryer.

So, I need to clear my CMOS I guess. It says just to unplug power from the mobo, and remove the battery for one minute. We'll see how it goes.

Ok, I cleared the CMOS and everything is up and running again. I suppose the first order would be to update the BIOS. I'll look into what Jordo said, and go from there.

Question: what would have made my system do this anyway? Were my adjustments in my original post ridiculous? Was I not getting enough power, or too much? One time, my rig turned on and off 5 times before finally registering and going into the BIOS. What does this show?

Ok I was running BIOS f5 before, updating to f7 now.

Actually you were running on stock with your e6600 and stock vcore is 1.3v i think so 1.275v in windows is a normal vdrop.

Hopefully the f7 bios will be easier to oc.

I think the reason your system wasn't stable was you pushed your memory too far. The xms2(all the dominator does is makes it cooler with the fans)are good memory sticks, but you may need to loosening up your timings at that frequency. Also you didn't mention anything about your north bridge and south bridge. The fsb runs through them too so try upping there voltage too.

Ok so let's delve into the RAM shall we. I'll need some help though. Here's a screen from CPU-Z. I am using RAM slots 1 and 3 to maintain dual channel.

memorytimings.jpg

Ok so I'll guess I'll go by the 400mhz speed. So my timings are 5-5-5-18. What would be an ideal number to loosen these to if I'm to try again? Also, when I go into BIOS and look at the RAM voltage setting, it gives me options to "+1v", "+2v", "+3v" ect. Should I have to touch that to give the RAM more power or just leave it at normal?

One more question; How do I disable this cool&quiet-like function that drops my multiplier when I'm idle, resulting in my CPU speed going down to 1.6Ghz? I keep looking for an option in my DS3 BIOS, but I just can't find it. Or I keep missing it anyway :(

Much thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom