ps2 ports acting up, is it the motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnelson8611

Baseband Member
I was having problems with this last night, I thought it was the I/O shield that came with the motherboard. I had to take out the motherboard to get the I/O shield off, but the ps2 ports are still acting up.

This is what happens:

I turn the pc on and the keyboard lights up, it works when I need to go into BIOS. However, as soon as XP loads, the keyboard goes offline.

Also, the mouse does not work when the keyboard is hooked up and the Post doesn't give a warning when the keyboard is not hooked up.

Basically, I can use a USB or PS2 mouse without a keyboard. But the keyboard just doesn't work after XP boots up.

All other ports on my motherboard work, and I'm not having any other problems with the motherboard except the ps2 ports.

I don't have both USB keyboard and mouse right now.

Motherboard specs:

MSI K8MM3-V... I'm building this for my father so I'm keeping it at a budget.

Thanks in advance to those who help.

tried unplugging the keyboard in windows and plugging it back in?

making sure USB keyboard in the BIOS settings is turned off.

try going into safe mode and seeing if the keyboard works then.

install all the motherboard drivers.

I have tryed unplugging and plugging it back in in Windows.

All the drivers are already installed, except the sound drivers. It recommends I have DirectX7 before installing and I'm not sure if Windows comes with that automatically or not.

How easy is it to get a replacement board from Newegg?

It's brand new and would like to see if I can get a replacement if that is the case

no idea I dont shop at newegg im European. But lets wait there might be solutions :)

do you have service pack 2 installed?

are you sure you plugged it into the purple connector not the green one?

try going into device manager in windows right click my computer choose properties then go to hardware, device manager see if you can see any yellow ! or a keyboard present anywhere.

EDIT: also try BIOS update it can solve this problem sometimes

I do have service pack 2 installed

I have made sure that the keyboard/mouse is plugged into the correct ports

I went into Device Manager last night and it did not have a yellow ! beside the keyboard and lists a generic driver for the keyboard.

May I add, the keyboard and mouse that I'm using for it are the same I am using now, so I know they work. I'll be buying him a different keyboard/mouse.

Thanks for your help.

I went into safe mode with just the keyboard and it did work. I tryed the the mouse in the ps2 port but it didn't work, I placed the USB mouse in and it did work.

So basically, the ps2 keyboard works now but the ps2 mouse does not, which is okay since most mice work on USB now anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom