Mac Suggestions........

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonCrafter

Daemon Poster
I need to get a Mac for some Graphic Design purposes. I have zero knowledge of Macs. So, help me pick out a good one. :)

What kind of stuff do you want to do?

Unless you have some Mac specific software in mind, why don' t you just use the computer in your Sig.? It should be more than powerful enough..... and Windows runs most of the popular graphic design software (Photoshop, macromedia suite, etc.).

Otherwise, I would say that any one you would buy new right now would work.

I am doing some freelance work in the graphic design department for Victoria's Secret right now, and they all use older Mac's (G4's and G5's) so really ANY Mac you buy right now should be more than capable.... even the mini is more powerful than an old G4....

Well, my main reason for getting one is to get experience in using Mac. I figure it would be good for me to have experience in both Mac and PC for better job prospects. :)

moisiss said:
What kind of stuff do you want to do?

Unless you have some Mac specific software in mind, why don' t you just use the computer in your Sig.? It should be more than powerful enough..... and Windows runs most of the popular graphic design software (Photoshop, macromedia suite, etc.).

Otherwise, I would say that any one you would buy new right now would work.

I am doing some freelance work in the graphic design department for Victoria's Secret right now, and they all use older Mac's (G4's and G5's) so really ANY Mac you buy right now should be more than capable.... even the mini is more powerful than an old G4....

TonCrafter said:
Well, my main reason for getting one is to get experience in using Mac. I figure it would be good for me to have experience in both Mac and PC for better job prospects. :)

Sounds like a good idea.... especially if you are doing graphic design. I would love to get a Macbook pro.... if I had the money... but I don't. Oh well....

moisiss said:
Sounds like a good idea.... especially if you are doing graphic design. I would love to get a Macbook pro.... if I had the money... but I don't. Oh well....

Yeah, I'll be doing graphic design. Actually, the Macbook Pro is what I was considering buying.

If you want just a learning unit and dont want to spend a lot, just get a G4 Mini with 1 GB of RAM for starters.
Or, if you have the cash, go ahead and get a MB Pro, lucky...

i'll sell you a g3 mac for 80 bucks.... LOL

still havent gotten to use this thing.. i need ram...

every once in a while i get to use the g5 at my work though... that thing just flies by photoshop and illustrator and such... they're very nice machines.. and i'd love to buy a dual cpu g5..

I just noticed that Mac has 'refurb' models for a very good price. And, the customer rating on the refurbs is even better than on new macs. lol Anyone ever try a refurb mac?

I'm still undecided. Maybe I should hold off until the new set of Macbook Pros come out. Hmm.....

I've used their refurbs in the past, very nice machines. Comes with all original accessories and DVDs. Not a scratch on them, they look brand new. They just ship in a brown box instead of the pretty retail boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom