I need a good graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poon

In Runtime
Ok so I want to play all the new games that everyone at my office keeps talking about. World of Warcraft, FEAR, Half Life 2, Civilization IV, and Quake just to name a few.

But I don't think my pc can play them. Can anyone help me figure out which graphics card I need to get so I can play these games? I'm so tired of hearing all the water cooler talk about cool games that I can't play!

Thanks.

b1gapl said:
What are the specs of your system, and your budget?

I have a Compaq Presario SR1023WM.
Windows XP

I'm not sure about anything else. How do I tell what else I have?

My budget is negotiable but I would like to keep it ~200.

We first have to find out what type of graphics slot your motherboard has. It can be either AGP, PCIe or have no dedicated graphics slot (in which case you can use a PCI slot).

I ran a google search and found the full specs of your model. No graphics port information. I then followed the Motherboard specifications link. There is a mention of "Multiplexed AGP interface" but I'm not convinced this is what we're looking for.

A quick an easy way to find out is with CPU-Z. Download and run it, then go to the "Mainboard" tab. All the way down there's a section labeled "Graphics Interface". This is what we need to know.

Meithan, thank you so much for your information. You are the man.

I downloaded CPU-Z like you said and the Graphics Interface section is blank. Is this bad?

yes... you have integrated graphics... the only choice you have is a PCI slot card and they are pretty much no good for gaming now a days...

Nukem said:
yes... you have integrated graphics... the only choice you have is a PCI slot card and they are pretty much no good for gaming now a days...

Today is a sad day in Poonville.

I guess I will just continue to be out of the loop at the office.

So this means that I should just buy a new pc?

honestly... building is cheaper, more satisfying, and a better quality system, as you determine the parts you put in it... but if you have to then yes... I would suggest getting a more up-to-date system. the one you have is still capable, don't get me wrong, just not for gaming.

Nukem, I have no idea how to build a pc! I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Although I wish I did know how. How much cash would I save by building my own vs. buying a new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom