Sound Card: Creative Labs SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Platinum.$79.00
CD/DVD Burner: LG DVD+-R GSAH22N-BK...................$30.00
Monitor: Dell E228WFPÂ’s 1680x1050....................$296.00
Mouse: Logitech G5 6 Buttons USB Wired Laser..........$46.00
Keyboard: LITE-ON SK-1788/BS PS/2 Wired Standard.......$7.00
Headset: PLANTRONICS GAMECOM1 USB Supra-aural.........$23.00
------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL=----------------------------------------------$1380.00

I also have a few new questions. Will the 22" widescreen distort any applications/games? What should I do about the video card dilemna? Should I instead get a 4:3 ratio monitor with 1600x1200 resolution? Should I buy something like a 7900GTS to hold me over for a while, or should I get a lower-end 7600GT and upgrade to a DirectX 10 card in about 1/2 year?

Like I said before, I'm a newbie so I've got a lot of questions :) Thanks for responding so quickly.

personally i liked your build earlier minus the hard drive switch to the 250gb RAID is a little over rated imo. SATA drives are just fine for gaming. if it were true you were planning to go sli and getting a quad-core, your build now will not allow for it. and you'll end up spending more in the long run to upgrade.

also, do you plan on buying speakers? because your headset is usb. so you could cut back on the sound card, and use that for a later upgrade, that'll save you ~$80 and would allow for you to get the first build.

Hey I noticed you downgraded the OCZ PSU from a 700watt to a 600watt and only saved $5. Keep the 700watt then if you're looking to spend that much.

Check out the Gigabyte GA-965P-S3! It supports Quad-Core as well and has a great ability to overlock the E6300 and it costs $108 versus $149.

Put that difference into the Video card. You may not be able to max out all the games with a 7600GT, you will with a 7900GT or better!

You guys are really helping! Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm almost done selecting components except for the video card. Couple questions: Should I buy a mid-range video card now and upgrade to a DirectX 10 video card about 1/2 a year down the road, or should I get a higher-end video card to hold me over for 1 year? I will be using Windows Vista and I've heard that you need a compatible video card. Thanks.

Ive said this before on other threads, but you should not be spending that kind of money on a sound card unless you have a very expensive speaker system that can take advantage of it.

The Audigy 2ZS is marginally a lesser quality card, yet only costs 50$. Spend this money elsewhere.

Also your video card choice is fine, bumping up to a evga 7900gs is not very expensive however. I say evga simply for steup program (make sure you keep your receipt).

Lastly, just a note on 22 inch monitors. I prefer to stay away from 22 inch monitors for the simple fact that at 22 inches wide, they run at the same resolution as 20 inch monitors. The 20 inch wids monitors have a cripser looking picture etc. I know the price of 22 inch monitors isnt even more, but try to avoid the temptation as the size difference isnt really that overwhelming.

Get at least the 7900GS!!! Trust us! Yeah BlaaKoran makes a good point. You don't even need a good sound card if you're running just a headset. Infact the motherboard has 7.1 onboard sound most likely and you can use that to get you buy.

You will notice a difference in the graphics though. Put your money there and get the X-Fi sound card down the line when you have more funds!

Remember computer parts depreciate in value! Get the most bang for your buck! Good luck!

the only thing i don't like about the step up program...
if i understand it right from evga's website:
you have to send in your card before they send you one.
so, if you don't have a spare, you don't have a computer.
it says it could take two days to process and ship after they recieve your card...but it could take two or three weeks to get your new card.
well, that and i can't put the balance of a new card on my newegg account, lol.

I think you should get a midrange one now and upgrade sooner rather than spend more money on the card now and upgrade later. Unless you really really impatient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom