Laptop done for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan4444

Beta member
Hi, this is my first post as i am new to this site. I signed up here hoping i could get some advice on how to fix a laptop i have. Yesterday a friend gave me a laptop that booted as far as the loading screen then went to a black screen... i assumed this was a problem with the display driver, and it was because i booted in safe mode removed the driver and then windows booted perfectly. I used the laptop a few times after that then i wake up the next morning, plug in the laptop, hold the power button and nuthin. The power and battery led;s are lit up and i can hear the laptop its self but nothing appears on the screen. If i listen really carefully as soon as its turned on its almost as if i can hear a hardrive seek that last about 3 seconds then it just continues to sit there, turned on, with a black screen.

I've tried turning it on not plugged into the wall with just teh battery and the same thing happens. Also, ive tried taking the battery out and putting it back in.

Any advice would be appreciated as this laptop is not mine and im supposed to be the one fixing it haha. Also, i hope i posted in the right section... i assumed this would be a hardware problem because if it was software i would at least get the post screen.

Thanks again for any input,
Jordan

If any hardware is messed up, the system screen will not show up and the system will shut down by itself in most cases.

You can rule out the hard drive, wirless card and optical drive since a system can boot without them.

Well, the system screen doesn't show up but it doesn't turn off etheir. I was thinking that the psu may have failed or isn't working properly and that may be whats causing it to just pweron but not boot up? maybe not enough pwer getting to all the components?

It's possible but I'm leaning more towards a motherboard issue myself. I don't have as much experience repairing laptops as some people on here but unless this is a nice notebook I don't think it'll be worth the time and money to try and repair. You can always sell it on ebay, there's always a good market for this stuff. The lcd seems in good condition so that's always worth something to somebody even if you strip out the rest of the parts.

****... this is sombody elses laptop i was supposed to be fixing and now ti doesn't work. How screwed am i....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom