Drive switched to read-only

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantomplay

Beta member
I recently had my main hard drive fail and installed a new C: drive and reloaded operating system (XP SP2) The C: drive only runs OS and programs, all data is stored on 2 SATA drives. C: drive is EIDE. The D: and E: drive show up in my computer screen and are browsable, but only the E: drive files can be viewed. When I look at folder properties it lists all the folders on the D: drive as read only and nothing it contains can be opened. I have tried changing the properties for these folders by unchecking the read only box and applying to all subv folders and files, but to no avail. Nothing was changed on these drives before I installed the new main drive. I have a couple of hundred pictures I can no longer view, can anyone give me any suggestions to fix this oddity?

Well I've never heard of a drive doing this. I would get a file recovery program and transfer the recovered files to the E: drive.
And then reformat the D: drive.

Update

Well - it seems that the files are not read-only, but encrypted. I had been using an encryption program that I cannot reinstall because it resides on the encrypted drive (figures) I have used the cipher command to decrypt all of the directories on the drive, but the individual files are proving to be resistant to cipher decryption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom