solid state drives in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

catbeardogman

Solid State Member
When do you forsee solid state drives breaking 50% of the general pc market.? as in replacing mechanical drives.. My guess is 2011ish.

i havent seen much on them (although an interesting concept that has already been used but in small compacity), they'll have to work hard on developing them for computers as we're already seeing 1Terrabyte Mechanical HD's (and they'll have to compete with even more storage).

So my guess is around 2015

It depends on the use of the laptop. I believe hybrid drives will be the future (for the next few years).

Low power and small machines will benefit from flash.

Hybrid drives are where the flash memory is basically a huge cache for the actual hard disk, right? Those look pretty cool.
The soonest I see solid state hard drives becoming main stream is 2015 at the soonest, probably later though. It's gonna be tough to get get flash media up to 250gb when they're only at around 8gb rihgt now.

Samsung had a 32gb solid state 2.5 notebook drive a while back but i havent really heard anything since. I really think it's gonna take a while for them to actually start making them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom