Possible processor problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapex_drummer

Beta member
in one of my old computers, I am running an Athalon XP 2000 processor on a Gigabyte Ga-7VA mobo. I have frequently been getting random restarts on it. So the first thing I did was buy a new stick of RAM and took the old one out. Still reboots on its own.. so its not a memory problem. Before the mem test... I had an old crappy heatsink and fan on it.. the temps were high on it.. 64 C.. got a thermaltake heatsink and fan.. works great.. temps are in the 32 C for the CPU. So its not a heating problem. I have narrowed it down to either a bad mobo or my cpu chip is damaged. The only time the computer locks up and reboots is when i do a virus/spyware scan. I usually test if it freezes with Spybot S & D. Is the processor bad even though it boots up and the temps are cool? Sometimes if the computer is running normal.. being afk.. once i come back.. the comp monitor is blank and i move the mouse.. type keys and it doesnt come back up on screen.. have to restart and sometimes it doesnt go past the XP boot up. If I turn the computer off for a few minutes.. then restart it... it boots up fine and runs until i do a heavy virus or spyware scan and it locks up. Any suggestions? Could it be the graphics card??

Thanks!

Did you check your hard drive? The hard drive runs very hard during scans.

Try a program like cpu burnin to test the CPU instead.

Well I had a good friend of mine.. great with computers.. tell me to touch the HD and see if it runs hot. I tried that and it doesnt run hot at all. Where can I get the cpu burnin program to test it??

did a memtest on the computer.. it went through to test number 2 and at 57% it locked up on me like it normally does with a virus scan. The RAM cant be bad because I bought a new one and took the old one out and it locked up.. now with both chips in it still does it. So i just did a memtest and it locked up while doing it. could the DIMM slots be going bad?

what kind of psu do you have? download mbm and see if your voltages are spiking badly. Give us some upper/lower limits. what kind of graffics card do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom