Seagate 80GB Hard Disk Beeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnan

Beta member
I have got two Seagate Hard drives. Both are 80GB Baracoda (ATA 7200RPM) and both are installed on IDE0

Disk 1 As Master (with 3 partitions FAT32, FAT32 and NTFS of equal sizes)
Disk 1 got main Windows XP Installtion of NTFS partition and also Windows 98 for emergency sitiuations (Or to play old time GAMES :) )

Disk 2 As Slave (with single NTFS partition) containing my billion dollor worth data

I just discovered on my hard-disk starts beeping (i guess the disk 1 with 3 partitions) It has happened in past with a 40GB disk for which i replaced the new one.

When i tried to shut down Windows XP was unable to do so! I keep the power button press to shut it down.

When i restarted It was Boot Failure! and the salve disk was not found by BIOS (Drive 2) I removed its power cable and re boot. Windows XP botted without any Beeping.

I checked online disk tests from seagate website all give OKAY!

Then I again powered (Drive 2: Slave one) this time not Beebs but XP Scan disks scanned the drive and report transfering Bad clusters in the log file.

This sounds alarming!!! This disk is very important for me. Does any one know this Beebing alerts ???...I heard they are Disk Death Clicks :(

Any one having idea about known issues with Two Same Spec. HDrives Master and Slave?

Please do post

That usually means it's about to 'splode.

If you can, backup all the data quickly and expect it to die.

Though, is it an actual beep, or a click? Hard drives can't really beep, they can click, but not beep.

However there is a small speaker on your motherboard that can beep, it could be that.

Immediately save your data!!!!!! I would disconnect your data drive, order a new hard drive. Once you receive the new drive, install it as a slave and then connect the original data drive as well. Then simply copy all the data from the old slave HD to the new one. Hard drives do not beep.....I'm wondering if there are other problems wiht your system. count the number of beeps you hear along with the pattern. Check to see which BIOS your motherboard uses and then google POST beeps for your BIOS. That will give you a heads up on potential problems.

thanx

Yeah it crashed the other day!!!

someone told me that u can check it by running Scan disk of Windows 98 which i did.

Guys it is true the H.Disk beebs, at least i have heard 3 seagate disk beeping. As in last 8 months i replaced 3 disks and the reason was ****!! MSI Board.

I've got rid of that MSI board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom