worth upgrading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddha

Solid State Member
I have a HP Pavillion a305w. It only has PCI slots. It also has 1gb ram and an Intel Celeron processor.

I was thinking about a new processor, Intel of course, and maybe a x1300 visiontek PCI. My question to you guys is, Is it worth upgrading a computer with no AGP or PCI-E slots.

I think no.And I'm saying this from personal experience,cause my old PC didn't had PCI-E slot and I had spend lot's of $ for RAM,CPU,etc. but couldn't get a decent graphics card.So I suggest you get a new motherboard ;)

No it's not worth upgrading a very outdated computer. You're better off making a new system. Do you have a budget?

Not worth it at all. Just build a real system from the ground up. Pre-builts, especially older ones just suck for upgrading.

Well, since no one has asked yet, WHY is it you are wanting to upgrade the computer? Are you wanting to play game(s) at with more eyecandy turned on? Is it just running plain ole' slow?

It depends on WHAT the computer is used for, and also what your budget is for said computer.

This computer is not really used at all. I thought if i put in an x1300 and maybe a newer processor it could run Counter Strike: Source. I play that semi-competitively and have friends come lan sometimes, I was basically wondering if I could get it to run well enough just to have another machine to lan with.

Yeah, it would run CS:S with an x1300.... my brother's Dell ran CS:S with an X300, wasn't too shabby. I think he had a P4 though... not positive. My old man took care of their PC's, cause I was already moved out. I gave my brother my old x800 PRO and it runs CS:S flawlessly.

If you got a deal on an x1300, and an Intel CPU upgrade (need to know what socket) it would probably run CS:S. Depends on budget though.

found my socket type. it says mPGA478. when i look at intel socket types i see M and 478 so which is this? I'm assuming 478 because it is older, right?

If you can find good deal on maybe a pentium 4 and a x1300 let me know, but basically you guys say its not worth upgrading if i cant find a good deal on parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom