the following file is missing or corrupt:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

neo214

Baseband Member
This is what I get when I try to boot my dell 4550, " the following file is missing or corrupt:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" I don't have the recovery disc. I've to start in safe mode but it only comes up with the same problem except it says system.log...

I do have one, but it's not a Dell recovery disc, do you think I can still use it to replace system files without any problems?

Yeah, I somehow fixed it by replacing my C:\windows\system32\config\system and another file also called system, they were 404kb and about 6 Megs with the one I had on my computer (computer one, with computer 2 being the one I'm trying to fix).

I tried booting it up after this and it didn't work(computer 2). However on the computer on which I'd gotten the files (computer 1) I had to re-activate windows (because I attached a hard drive on it and that made the accountants and M$ angry?) But, then I went into recovery console on computer 2 that and did nothing, changed directories a few times then got out and booted normally, the computer worked just fine.

How could this be?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom