Help with operating system dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

06MustangGT

Solid State Member
I finally have gotten my new computer put together and have gotten it to turn on. The computer is a E6600, Asus P5b-e, 8800 GTS, etc. However, I just realized that I only have a Windows cd that is from Dell. I have heard that this cd will automatically install the drivers for my Dell motherboard. The dilemma is that I want Vista and I don't want to have to buy XP and then buy Vista. I know Microsoft is doing a special for prebuilt computers, but I can only find one special from NewEgg on just buying XP. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837116195

Does anyone have advice? I really want to get my system up and running before Vista comes out. Does anyone know any tricks with the Dell XP cds?

actually i dont think you can use that disk, unless you use your old dell motherboard

just get windows the not so legal way *shifty eyes*

You can use the Dell CDs for XP, but as everyone else said, the 30 days rule is in effect unless you dig up an activation code. Haha, this reminds me of the internet WWWWizzard, "You must have to have it for thirty days!"

Thanks Fatclown. I also just found that you can get a free 120 day trial of Windows XP 64. I downloaded it and burned it to a cd. I am currently installing it on my system. I hope this works and will hold me over until Vista comes out.

Just to update everyone and inform anyone with the same problem. I was able to download XP 64 bit edition trial and copy it to a cd as an ISO. I finished installing XP around midnight last night. It seems descent, but I have found some software that won't run on the 64 bit version of XP.

some software you have to find the 64 bit edition for. Most 32 bit software should run ok but some you have to find the 64 bit edition to run on. Im not quite sure how that works though (im not much in the software side of things), but you could make a topic in the windows os thread to get better help there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom