Getting ready to overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I don't know why it was failing to boot at 2.8, and then it wouldn't boot at 2.4 either. So right now im back at 1.86. I'll proably push it up to 2.4 later today. Im a little skidish at the momment because when it wouldn't load it would turn on and attempt to, but then fail, and it would do that until i cut the power. And after the money i put into this thing(it's not easy to come up with 1300 dollars at 16), and the troubles of frying the thing the first time i put it together, I don't want to take any unecessary chances.
Oh and BTW, FullMetal Alchemist rules. :D

You will not hurt anything unless you gave the cpu 1.7v or something (not sure if it even goes up that high), but stuff like upping the fsb is easily redone with a bios reset. So its not that bad to try to up the fsb to 400mhz if you wanted, but the voltage is what you need to me wary of as thats the actual setting that makes the cpu run hotter (along with everything else like ram, nb, sb, etc.).

edit: the trying to boot over and over again is an interesting problem though. Have you updated to the latest bios and is everything plugged in correctly and secure?

edit edit: actually...its supposed to do that if its not getting enough power. You should still be able to get into the bios unless you gave the cpu at like 1.2v for 400x7 or something, but then it should just cut off completely with that kind of setting.

I've been trying to change it back to 2.4, and it's not saving my settings. I don't know why, but every time i change the frequency it switches back when i boot it up. Should i have to set the vcore beyond the stock settings for 2.4?

Yeah mine is f10 too, and im pressing it. I also tried going to the main screen and selecting exit and save to CMOS, but it wouldn't save it.

That is a good point, i don't really NEED to overclock, but it would be nice to get more for my money, plus theres bragging points ;)

OK...write down what you changed and reset the bios and then try to change it back and save again. If that doesn't do it, check and make sure the cmos battery is seated properly and that the jumpers are in the correct position.

Actually try the second thing first :p

When you get that e6300 overclocked, your going to love it. So hang in there.

OK, the battery and jumpers should be fine, seeing as i haven't touched them. I'll try and reset BIOS, but i have an EOC review due tommorow that i really should get working on :D

hmm, i have a ds3 too, but no c2d. I suceeded by upping the timings on the RAM (press CTRL+F1) in the main menu in bios, then go the M.I.T. (dur) and all those settings will be there. I upped the NB a few and the MCH +.1 and the vcore and i got some good 4ghz on this 3 ghz p4. It's a mighty fine board, neck in neck with the asus in my opinion. good luck man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom