Bad CPU and/or Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtw1ster

Solid State Member
So, I installed an after market heatsink on my one month motherboard/system (EVGA 680I). I tried to start windows, but it would shut down before fully starting windows. I restarted my computer about five times before it dawned on me that my processor was overheating...duh. I removed my side panel and saw that one of the four clips for my heatsink was loose. I removed the new heatsink, reapplied my Arctic Silver 5, and correctly mounted and installed the heatsink.
When I went to start the system up it would not even post. I again removed the heatsink and processor to check for problems. Upon examination I found a very small amount of AS5 on the bottom of my processor. I gently cleaned my processor and motherboard pins, but to no avail.
It looks like my CPU is toast, but what are the chances that I fried the mobo too? Could the AS5 have shorted my mobo, because it does have silver in it which is able to conduct electricity. I would like to know a % chance if possible for frying my mobo, processor, and both. Thanks for you time everyone.

Just double check to make sure that you got all of the AS5 and that there is none of it around the the cpu socket,
there is a chance that you MAY have fried the mobo, though i got the feeling that there is just a little bit of the AS5 on the mobo, cause all it takes is a very TINY bit of it and it will cause it not to start,
Do that and post back results

I cleaned the mobo and processor with Alcohol, but to no avail. I am expecting my RMAed processor today and I will post back with results.

I installed the new processor after recleaning the motherboard CPU pins with a dab a alcohol. It still would not post. I am expecting a new motherboard now. So, I either fried my motherboard and processor or I just fried my motherboard...I'll never know which.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom