How much are store bought computers before mark up

Status
Not open for further replies.

tron_85

Beta member
i think its called mark up. how much are they from the factory to the store. How much does the store pay.

lets say a $800 how much lees did it cost the store.

why do you want to know this ? im gona guess 600USD it's cost the store... But hey if your planning on buying a pc and worried about getting ripped off..... Make your own we'd be much more inclined to help you build a pc than answer ''Mark Up'' questions.

Thanks

The manufacturer's sell it to the companies for a marked-up price, than the company sells it to YOU for a mark-up price.

The manufacturer's pay nothing to build their computers. The components are usually minimum quality parts and they're put together by workers in China for $1 per day, maybe less.

So, a $400 PC from Dell costs Dell around $300-$350.

K M A N said:
why do you want to know this ? im gona guess 600USD it's cost the store... But hey if your planning on buying a pc and worried about getting ripped off..... Make your own we'd be much more inclined to help you build a pc than answer ''Mark Up'' questions.

Thanks

just wondering. I dont know much about building, but would build one if i knew how. Can you build notebooks.

I recently purchased parts for a new rig (there going to be delivered today!) and it cost me ~$1900 I "built" much the same computer on ibuypower's site and it cost me ~$2500. That should give you a pretty good estimation.

I work retail and I can tell you that places like Best Buy, CCity, Compusa, etc. have very little markup on the computer itself. It goes anywhere from 5-10% depending on the brand and model. Retail stores make their profits selling you accessories, installations, and warranties, not on computer hardware. Places like ibuypower and Dell are different because they get to cut out a lot of middlemen (Distribution-Wholesaler-Retail-etc.) all of which add markup and they actually make decent money on the stuff they sell. But for a lot of computers I sell to people my employer makes about the same amount of profit on a $600 computer as a $30 usb cable.

So if I sold an HP computer for $800 it would have maybe 8% markup. So the prift there is about $65 or so. When you account for all of the steps that it took to get that pc from HP's factory to your home, however, that's a lot of lost money unless I can sell some extra stuff with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom