Xeon

Status
Not open for further replies.

..>Lost<..

Baseband Member
Can anyone explaim the difference between a p4 and a xeon cpu??? i was telling a co-worker about my new pc and this other guy walks up and was like I only use the xeon chip in my system...... okay... so I was just wondering what would be so special about having one!
:confused:

bacisally a xeon is a P4 on speed lol. The Xeon comes with 2 CPU's. So its mainly for running servers and doing like a lot of heavy duty things. Just like running a server. It has more cache and all that other stuff a P4 does not have. Xeon's aren't ment for like playing games or anything like that becuase its a waste of money for that.. Also, the Xeon motherboards are much more money then the P4's. You also need a lot of memory to run them so yea thats what it is.

xeons are almost exactly the same as regular P4s except they:
1) can be run in dual processor configuration
2) have a larger cache then regular P4s
3) have a slower FSB compared to regular P4s
4) they have a different socket

Yeh, the zeon processor was made as a server tech, and specifically has a larger memory bandwidth.

Your co-worker must be rollin it in cuz the xeon's cost thousands. and the mobos cost like 5x more then p4 mobos.

haha, just wondering, if you wanted to totally beef up a server or pc, could u overclock dual 3.2 Xeons?! (you'd obviously have to have some $$ to burn) that with 10k rpm drive(S) would be nutz!

I don't think dual processors give you much extra power in games, the guy would have been better off buying an AMD FX 53 or P4 extreme or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom