help w/ restoring volume icon to system tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

little a

In Runtime
hello all

picked up a used dell to serve my everyday computing needs and i'm stuck with this problem.

i don't have the system restore discs but i reinstalled windows from an XP pro set up disc. at that point i didn't have any volume. by downloading one of the drivers for this model (dimension 4500) i got sound but still cannot get it to display teh volume icon (in fact, according to control panel, it seems as if this system doesn't have any sound component [control panel says "no audio device"]

any ideas would be appreciated

alfio

yes, after i installed the drivers from Dell, i get sound but no icon (and windows seems to think that there is no soundware installed)

a

Go to the control panel and click on sound. If it doesnt show up there then you have the wrong sound driver installed.

Are you sure there isnt a 3rd party sound card installed and not just the on-board?

Do you have the latest Windows updates? There was a bug a few months ago that had an effect on that type of thing. MS issued a patch a while back. Other than having the wrong driver installed, I can't help you. Click start, run, and type dxdiag in the box and see what it tells you.

ok, figured it out.

it was a selection problem- basically, in the audio tab of the sound control panel, i had not selected the on board sound option and it had defaulted to the modem.

thanks all

alfio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom