Setting up new hard drive or....

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

Baseband Member
Setting up new hard drive or....

I have a 30 GB hard drive that has Windows millennium on C: and XP on D:

I'm running out of space. Is there a way to delete Windows millennium?

If not, can I setup a new harddrive using another computer and then install it into my regular computer when I get it "tweaked" the way I like it?

The second computer is a emachine running a Celeron processor if that makes a difference.

Just install Partition Magic on the XP partiton, boot into XP and remove ME. There shouldnt be an issue.

if i understand you correctly yes you can install the second drive into the second comp once you have it the way you want it just make sure that you set the jumper to slave on the hard drive you are installing

If you want to boot from drive D; which has xp then make sure you edit the boot.ini file to boot from that partition. Then you can erase ME

Thanks for the info.

I decided to buy a larger drive (Maxtor 120 GB at Fry's- $65.00) because if I clear Win Me I'm going to run out of disk space again in the near future.

I have a 120 GB "slave" that I backup to so w/ the new HD I should be set for a while.

I think I'll disconnect the "slave" and configure the new HD there until I get it correct.

Can I switch back and forth between the exixting HD and the new one w/o changing cables each time?

Yes you can you still need to have the other hd set as a slave.

ok you have two hd with two OS you can edit the Boot.ini file to let you choose upon boot up between the two partitions:

Save a Backup Copy of Boot.ini
Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
-or-

In Control Panel, start the Performance and Maintenance tool, and then click System.
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
Under System Startup, click Edit. This opens the file in Notepad ready for editing.
In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
Right click in an empty area of the Save As dialog box, point to New in the Context menu, and then click Folder.
Type a name for the new folder, for example temp, and then press the ENTER key to create the folder named temp.
Double-click the new folder named temp, and then click the Save button to save a backup copy of the Boot.ini file.

Edit the Boot.ini File
To view and edit the Boot.ini file:
Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
-or-

In Control Panel, start the Performance and Maintenance tool, and then click System.
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
Under System Startup, click Edit.

Sample Boot.ini File
This is a sample of a default Boot.ini file from a Windows XP Professional computer.
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

This is a sample of the above Boot.ini file after adding another partition running Windows 2000 Professional.
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

o0krylon0o,

Thanks for the effort a great instructions.

Let me follow your steps and I'll let you know how it's going.

Thewolfe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom