Noob needing help

Status
Not open for further replies.
TriEclipse said:
Rule out the P5B, its just not a motherboard that I would recommend.

That's for the link. It looks good, I'll read through it in the morning (3:26am).

Even though you have an 8800GTS, do you think you'll want to add another one in the future, if the card starts to lose it's top-end position? If you do, then get the P5B Deluxe. If not, then go ahead and get the P5B-E with only one PCI-E slot. Yes, I'm very sure that RAID 0 is supported on all of them.

I think the P5B-E is the direction I will go. I am still looking at other mobo's outside of the ASUS line but I am still having problems finding good reviews (not newegg reviews) on all of them. I haven't heard much at all that sounded bad about the the P5B-E.

The Gigabyte DS3 is another cheap alternative. Its cheaper than the P5B-E with only slightly lower overclocking, and the newest BIOS makes it an even more appealing option. And if you happen to get one with an older BIOS, the BIOS update feature is so simple, a caveman could do it. The P5B-E and DS3 basically comprise the sweet spot for non-SLI motherboards.

TriEclipse said:
The Gigabyte DS3 is another cheap alternative. Its cheaper than the P5B-E with only slightly lower overclocking, and the newest BIOS makes it an even more appealing option. And if you happen to get one with an older BIOS, the BIOS update feature is so simple, a caveman could do it. The P5B-E and DS3 basically comprise the sweet spot for non-SLI motherboards.
Thanks again! I will look into that and try to find some more articles on both.

If you decide to go with the p5b-deluxe in hopes of sli'ing later, i wouldn't waste my money. It will run at x16 x4, so you will not see a lot of improvement. Instead i would just sell the 8800gts (not now of course but when it starts to get too low end for your tastes) and get a newer graphics card over buying another gts later.

I got my p5b-deluxe cause it is a rock solid board to me. Just make sure you dl the latest bios before overclocking (if you do overclock, but update it anyways).

If you go for the one pci-e route, i would go for the gigabyte ds3.

Go with the g.skill suggested. Also get the zalman 9500 instead (make sure to get some arctic silver 5 with it). I, personally, would get a 7200rpm HDD and use the extra money for a bigger monitor or some good speakers like the logitech x-530's or z-2300 if you have enough money. Just make sure to get a sata 3 gb/s HDD if you do.

Other then that, that system is pretty sweet and will be ready for vista and upcoming games (in dx10 if you get vista later).

darkop16 said:
If you decide to go with the p5b-deluxe in hopes of sli'ing later, i wouldn't waste my money. It will run at x16 x4, so you will not see a lot of improvement. Instead i would just sell the 8800gts (not now of course but when it starts to get too low end for your tastes) and get a newer graphics card over buying another gts later.

I got my p5b-deluxe cause it is a rock solid board to me. Just make sure you dl the latest bios before overclocking (if you do overclock, but update it anyways).

If you go for the one pci-e route, i would go for the gigabyte ds3.

Go with the g.skill suggested. Also get the zalman 9500 instead (make sure to get some arctic silver 5 with it). I, personally, would get a 7200rpm HDD and use the extra money for a bigger monitor or some good speakers like the logitech x-530's or z-2300 if you have enough money. Just make sure to get a sata 3 gb/s HDD if you do.

Other then that, that system is pretty sweet and will be ready for vista and upcoming games (in dx10 if you get vista later).

Thanks for the reply. Would setting up RAID even be worth the extra money for another HD?

cshaw419 said:
Thanks for the reply. Would setting up RAID even be worth the extra money for another HD?

Nevermind :p I found the awnser to my own question and I will not be going with a RAID set up, at least not right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom