Quad Core or Dual Core?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I'm pretty sure it's single-core.

Newegg doesn't sell the 770, but they do have the 780, which is very similar to your CPU only with higher clock speed: Pentium M 780. In the Specs section, it's clearly stated Multi-Core: Single-Core. Your CPU is the same.

Interesting... I suppose I should have done some more research. Well there isn't too much you can do if its a grift =).

I appreciate the help.

Well, you should know Core 2 Duos are based on the Pentium M. Intel didn't like where the Pentium 4 architecture was going, so when they went back to blueprint to redesign their CPU line, they started with the Pentium M architecture, superior in many ways to the P4.

Vincentnsoa, what your seeing with the 797mhz is probably just when its in energy saving mode. It should run at the right speed when needed. The pentium M was never offered as a dual core IIRC. They simply moved to the core solo and core duo.

While the Pentium-M was a revolutionary step for Intel, it wasn't because they needed a replacement for the Pentium 4. That processor will still going strong, Intel just couldn't put the furnaces that were Prescott into a laptop. So they had to redesign their Mobile (M) processors, and since they'd learned that the Netburst architecture produced a lot of heat, they took another route with the Banias architecture. The real overhaul of the architecture happened with Yonah (Core Solo/Core Duo), which was the true predecessor to the Core architecture (indeed it was the original Core architecture) as it was built on the 65nm process. And no, the Pentium-M was never a Dual Core, so lets drop that one already.

Oh yeah. Go Dual Core.

I disagree. Intel was stagnating with the Pentium 4. They needed a shift in design. Why? Because the Pentium 4, the Prescott being the greatest example, is a CPU architecture based on high clock speed. The problem is that above 3Ghz, they were pushing the electrical components near their physical limit. Intel looked ahead and realized they wouldn't be able to push the clock speed of their CPUs much further. Even though their 3.8Ghz Prescott was a monster, it produced insane amounts of heat, and didn't provide proportionally more performance than lower-clocked AMD chips (as we all already know, AMD CPUs could do the same work at 1Ghz slower clock speeds). I think the Core Microarchitecture was a much needed shift. Intel would be in serious problems if it hadn't abandoned the NetBurst architecture.

Pentium 4s were fas but inefficient monsters, true titans of speed that were slowly being crushed under their own weight.

Pentium Ms, on the other hand, were designed with efficiency in mind from the start, because they were laptop CPUs. Intel realized that slow & efficient beats fast & inefficient, even when it comes to desktop computing. Hence, they based the Core architecture on the Pentium M.

Yes, the Core architecture was a much needed shift. The Pentium-Ms, however, were the Banias architecture. The only reason for the existence of the P-M was the need for a notebook processor that wouldn't burn your lap. And since the P4 was already seen as a failure in the mobile arena by Intel, they decided to design a totally new processor with the P-M.

It still wasn't a replacement for the Netburst, more of something born out of necessity. That type of "revolutionary" thinking didn't come until the Core architecture came along.

TriEclipse, I think we're both misunderstanding each other. We're saying the same things, just with different words :).

Bottomline is that the we're seeing a massive shift in microprocessor architecture these days (and it doesn't limit to PCs; consider the PS3's Cell Microprocessor). The Pentium 4 was the end of a long and successful bloodline. Let them rest in peace.

This morning I was reading an old article (back from 2004) about the Pentium 4 power problems, and I was struck by the author's closing remark:

I'm of the opinion that a dual-core Pentium M derivative would make much more sense, and I'll bet that such a design is percolating somewhere deep within Intel. But it'll only come out if the dual-core Prescott fails to catch on.

Spooky, huh?

Lol, I love reading stuff from the olden days, especially relating to computers. Its funny stuff. Although...Hindsight is nice, but we probably would've made the same mistakes back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom