Holy ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey im overclocking today, and i need to know what programs i need. I just downloaded prime 95, but it's confusing to me. Im really more concerned about temps. I don't think ill be going far enough to run into many stability problems today, ill shoot for around 2.4 ghz and then test.

Lol, Prime95 is confusing? You just go into Options > Torture Test, and choose the Blend test. If the test encounters an error, it will stop and tell you how long it ran before an error occurred (good feature for overnight torturing). Also get SP2004. Get Speedfan to monitor your temps too. And SuperPi 32m for checking overall performance. Long-term SuperPi benchmarks are also good for testing the memory. Get Memtest86+ for testing the RAM.

Ok first overclock done.
firstoverclock.jpg

Im gonna do some stress testing tonight, after i bump the vcore down to about 1.35-1.38, cause my full load temps were between 55-59, and i'd like to keep it at 55 at the most. I don't know why the vcore went up, maybe it was because i left it on auto.

Yeah, that'll do it, always change the auto setting. But note that even without raising the voltage, you're feeding more power to the processor. You cannot raise the clockspeed without raising the voltage, and that's why your temps will rise even when you keep the vCore at stock.

Personally, I think 2.4Ghz is complacent for an E6300. Try for 2.8Ghz, max out that DDR2-800 with a 1:1 ratio, and then start testing from there.

And don't worry about temps. Load temps in the 60°C-65°C are not uncommon with Core 2 Duos, and as long as they don't break that range, you should be fine. Also, remember to use an aftermarket cooler and Arctic Silver 5 if your temps aren't to your liking.

Remember that vCore is the manual setting for changing the voltage. The laws of Physics require that you increase the amount of power being delivered if you want to increase the clockspeed.

Is it possible to raise the FSB without raising the vCore? Yes.
Is it possible to raise the FSB without raising the amount of voltage provided? No.

Confused? Yeah, me too.

Ok, i just got done stability testing for 14 hours, and no problems. Im gonna up it to 2.8 and watch it this after noon, then stress test it overnight. OK i pushed it to 2.8 and it started to boot, but it couldn't, and it tried to a few times. I flipped the switch on my PSU and when i loaded windows it says im back to 1.866. Im gonna go into bios and push it to 2.6.

Didn't work, now it wont boot at 2.4. Im gonna wait a while and go back in and move it to 2.4 and thats probobly as high as i will go.

You will have to raise the vcore eventually to get the cpu to be stable at higher speeds. Also you may need to give more power to ram(stock should be fine until you go higher then the rated fsb which is 400 for you ram), north bridge and south bridge.

Then you test it and if it fails then give the cpu more power and if that fails then give the ram more power and if that fails then go to the NB and SB and if that fails...start over again with the cpu. As long as you keep you load temps for your e6300 under or at 60*c then your fine. I actually had load temps at 65*c (when i was at 3.6ghz) which is acceptable since you probablly won't ever use your system the way orthos does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom