Help on cooling for P4 3.0E

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnum70

Baseband Member
Ok so I heard that the pscott's get hotter than normal cpu's like the nrthwds. So what a good heat and fan to cool these down. I want won that isn't to loud too. who make a good reliable and not to expensive one. I picked this cpu to burn dvd's faster and beable to surf the web while listening to music and download some mp3's without my comp getting slow and stuttering. It's a big upgrade from my 1.1 celeron.

I bought the same cpu and broke the clips on the factory fan trying to put it on. Everyone I asked told me the best heat sink would be the one that came with it but i just bought This one and it seems to be working fine. Cpu in bios sits at 38c and when i play unreal for an hour or so its higest was 45c. Room is always about 70-75f and i have 2 80mm fans blowing in and a 120 going out. hope that helps. Oh i called intel cause I was worried 45c might be bad and they said it could go up to 70c and then it would shut itself down and that it was actually running quite cool!:D

That is not a bad choice at all. The prescott my friend has gets very hot as well, up to 68c with the intel cooloing, 45c is nothing

I have another ?. Whats the best thermal compound for this CPU and how much will I need? Is the Arctic Silver 5 any good?

Mine seems to work fine, dosent require that much. The little bit that it comes with would prolly last for 15-20 installs.

Yeah I have a 2.8 533fsb in my home pc, and it idles at about 88F, but the 2.8 800fsb with HT at work idles at 120F

The work pc has the stock heatsink/fan while my home one has a Spire Cooler on it.

Yeah I think the HT procs run a lot hotter. lol.

That's the difference between the Northwoods and the Prescotts. Intel used a strained silicone to straighten out the pathways the data had to travel and the die size is the same although you are getting more processing power out of the prescotts. These 2 factors make the prescotts run a bit on the warm side. My 2.8HT 800FSB (prescott) at home runs about 93F at idle and 115F when i'm playing Call of Duty. My 2.6HT 800FSb (northwoods) idles at 84F and runs up to about 96F when I play Call of Duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom