Downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
well if it cant then 98 for sure. I only use 95, 98 in VMWare now.

Want to play around with some code and check out 3.1 deeper than at a glance. test programs and have fun with it. the pc is actually a dell p3 800Mhz 256meg. however i installed xp-home on it and was wondering if a partition of such a 'dumb' operation system could work.

See how fast Windows 2000 gets owned on the internet without an antivirus. Do a Google search for a dictionary and just see how much errors come up :p

GreenMachine said:
Want to play around with some code and check out 3.1 deeper than at a glance. test programs and have fun with it. the pc is actually a dell p3 800Mhz 256meg. however i installed xp-home on it and was wondering if a partition of such a 'dumb' operation system could work.

Yu'll have to reformat first, DOS and Win 3.1 would have to be installed first then XP Home to another partition so you can dual boot.

My mom's old computer had the same specs as yours and it ran Windows 2000 with antivirus and antispyware just fine. I'd recommend that since it's atleast a true 32-bit OS and can still run almost everything windows xp can.

yeah 3.1 is only 16bit that means it wont even use all of you ram and cpu. it might not even work with the pc133 ram you have. thats also a big difference from the simms they used back then. your best bet, either go 2k pro, which except for its crummy driver database is one if not the best version of windows. of course you guys may hate me for saying this, but a copy of ubuntu linux might also serve your old machine well.

as for 3.1 you wont learn much, it was buggy, slow, and had MANY short commings. the memories still plague me to this day!

That's true, there's no better way to learn linux than thwoing Ubuntu on an old pc. Once I get around to it I'm gonna put either that or maybe Linspire on an old 700mhz Celeron I've got here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom