n00b is back!! :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipa.inc

Solid State Member
hey guys...remember me? i was the n00b that didnt know which comp to buy...so i came here asking you guys...well im proud to say ive finalllllllly got it after so long! i upgraded from my .366 ghz
celeron :( :( :(
Here is what i got:
P4 2.8E Prescott
ASUS P4P800S_SE (http://au.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p800s-se/overview.htm)
512mb DDR 400 Hyundai (planning to buy 512 more in the future)
Seagate 80GB IDE (i asked the guy at the shop for a SATA...he got it and then looked at the mobo and said, ur mobo cant support SATA...i was thinking "what? i thought i made sure it supported it!" i thought, oh well. i got it wrong. so me being a 14 yr old n00b, i said,,oh k sorry bout that! so when i got home i looked at the mobo and saw SATA sockets!...pffffft idiot!)
Generic Case with 300+ PSU is 300 ok?
128mb GeCube ATI Radeon 9600SE Xtreme http://www.gecube.com/productCategory.php?proID=37
(is that good??)

any comments, advice or suggestions r more than welcome :D :D :D

Attachments

• 9600se xtreme small.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 29
Not a bad setup, it's just too bad you got screwed out of the SATA hard drive. It really sucks when people who work at computer stores don't know anything about computers. At any rate, with that setup you should be happy for a while. There are a few things, though, that you'll probably want to upgrade when you can.

First off, the 300w PSU is a little small for a P4. Since you don't have it loaded with devices I'd say you'll be OK for a while, but you should think about bumping it up to at least a high quality 350-400w. Second, I'm sure you'll want to add another 512mb stick of RAM soon enough, but unfortunately your motherboard doesn't support dual-channel mode so you'll still get the benefit of the extra RAM, but without the speed boost of DC mode. If you really want the speed boost, though, you could always swap the mobo out for an i865 or i875 later on.

Finally, the video card. As you probably know, the 9600SE is the "budget" card in the 9600 line, so although it performs great for the price, you'll probably eventually want to swap it out for something a little more powerful if you're really into gaming. You could always consider moving up to a higher-end 9600 like the 9600 Pro or XT, but you're probably better off to save your money for a while and take the jump to a 9800 when you can afford it.

All-in-all, a great starting point for a gaming rig. It should keep you happy for a while (especially considering you upgraded from a Celeron :p) and with a couple simple upgrades, it'll be ready for games like Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 when they come out. :D

Yeah i agree, 14 and u built your self a pc, be proud, that pc should last u long. even my pc has lasted long, i used it for high end games such as unreal 2 and c &c genarals. and my pc isnt that great - lol
By the way , was it easy building a pc.

snipa.inc said:
hey guys...remember me? i was the n00b that didnt know which comp to buy...so i came here asking you guys...well im proud to say ive finalllllllly got it after so long! i upgraded from my .366 ghz
celeron :( :( :(
Here is what i got:
P4 2.8E Prescott
ASUS P4P800S_SE (http://au.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p800s-se/overview.htm)
512mb DDR 400 Hyundai (planning to buy 512 more in the future)
Seagate 80GB IDE (i asked the guy at the shop for a SATA...he got it and then looked at the mobo and said, ur mobo cant support SATA...i was thinking "what? i thought i made sure it supported it!" i thought, oh well. i got it wrong. so me being a 14 yr old n00b, i said,,oh k sorry bout that! so when i got home i looked at the mobo and saw SATA sockets!...pffffft idiot!)
Generic Case with 300+ PSU is 300 ok?
128mb GeCube ATI Radeon 9600SE Xtreme http://www.gecube.com/productCategory.php?proID=37
(is that good??)

any comments, advice or suggestions r more than welcome :D :D :D

If you are just 14 and you built all of that by yourself, you should DEFINETELY be proud, as not many people actually know how to build a PC, besides us on the forums :)

All of that stuff looks good, including that video card. If it is somewhere close to the poewr of a 9600XT, it should last for a long time. Mine has been great for me, and I can play games such as BF Vietnam and FarCry on HIGH graphics settings with very minimal slowdown.

Good job on building it! Hope everything goes ok for ya.

-Chubz

hey thanx alot guys...i was thinkin of buyin the 9600XT...but have to wait a while cauz im only 14 and my parents have the money, not me and dont want to kill them...know wot i mean?
It wasn't that hardd but it wasnt like that easy either :p
Thanx everyone for ur replies :D
And hahaha b4 u think that im sum nerd that just sits on the computer ALL day and has no friends...I'm not :)

Shouldn't have bought the 9600se. When compared to the 9600 Pro for price/performance, the 9600 Pro owns it nearly 4 times! But oh well, it's still better than nothing.

snipa.inc said:

And hahaha b4 u think that im sum nerd that just sits on the computer ALL day and has no friends...I'm not :)

Wow, I have never heard ANYONE describe me so well!

Guess what.

You get a cookie! :)

i live in australia and everything here is very expensive...if u want to buy a 9600XT ure looking at about $260-$320...
so i think ill upgrade later :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom