My next build, going AM2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally have both systems. My trusty AMD s939 4200 and the INTEL E6300 build... both still move when they need to, so I'm happy either way...

AS for a case... may I suggest the CM stacker... cases are awesome and have plenty of room...

may I also suggest the AM2 opty 1210 for a couple of bucks more. The L2 cache is 1MB vice 512kb and you'll get a better performance out of it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819105015

other than that... looks like a good build. have fun

Aren't the Opteron's not as good for gaming? I game... a lot...so I need a good gaming rig. I don't do video editing or anything like that, pretty much just gaming.

they run slightly hotter, but give the same or (and in most cases) better performance. but I assumed you game, hence the reason I suggested the 1MB L2 vice the 512kb... and since you are getting a ZALMAN anyway you will take care of that, but the stock coolers are decent as well if your not going to OC very much.

Well, I can't get the Zalman till probably June or July. I have to save up all my money till then so I can pay the bill when it comes. :p

Alright then, if it performs better and it's only that much more, I'll for sure get it. :)

If I may... I understand the whole credit thing and why you want to be careful, but why not get what you need now and when the bill comes and if you don't have all of it, you can pay off most of it, then finish it off as payments... and you still get the build you want. It'll be another 45-50 bucks to get the cooler anyway. If you get it now, you won't have to pay the extra shipping charge which they will throw on you for one part.

Just my 2.5 cents

The problem is, the interest sky rockets if you don't have it paid off in time.

EDIT: Actually though, you're right. I think I'm gonna get the CPU cooler with it...might as well, right?

LOL... why not..

besides... this way if you DON'T have it paid off in time, you can make a few payments, pay it off early, then leave the account open for future use. It'll help your credit in the long run...

TriEclipse said:
I have no intention of promoting any more fanboyism, and I refuse to purposefully design a pathetic build.

Good Luck, haha.

that's pretty harsh, man.
you do promote fanboyism, only it's for intel. there's nothing wrong with being a fan of either company, so let's not be hypocritical.
first, the argument i make has been made before, it's his money and if he trusts amd, that's what he will get. so why not help crazeD with his build instead of coming down on him for not sharing your loyalty?
second, and i have said this many times as well...it is not a REQUIREMENT of being a member of these forums to post a reply to every topic. if the only advice offered is, "you suck", well... that's what's pathetic.
there is nothing pathetic about that build. there's nothing pathetic about my build. as far as gaming, the rig he (and i as well) have will run high settings and fast speeds as well as anyof the c2d's. now, if he was buying a rig to be top dog in benchmarks (lol so the f---- what?), or to do some hard-core rendering, it would be retarded to buy amd AT THE MOMENT. for the money, i think it is a pretty darn good rig. and it will play any game out. lol, my sig used to say, "my 95 fps looks the same as your 125." and it does.
now, crazeD, let me know how that mobo works out. i have read that the latest bios is kinda crappy, you may want to use one of the older ones.
i have no trouble with my abit, besides the fact that i don't think it likes high cpu ext. clock speeds ( i can get it to 299, that's it), but i think they fixed it with kn9 sli board.
now, the opty s939 perform better than the am2 x2, i don't know how the am2 opty measures up to them, though. i love my 4200, it takes everything i through at it and keeps chugging along, no problem. unlike johnny u.k. i do overclock. everyday usage it is about 2.65. i can get it up to a little over 2.9, but it doesn't like it a whole lot. and that speed is overkill unles i'm running a super pi bench or something (and i just want to know how high i can get it).
as far as video, i suppose the 7950 is a great card, but i don't know how much of a performance increase there is over a 7900gs. probably a lot, lol. but my 7900gs runs everything at pretty much max.
good luck dude, lemme know if i can help!

Well, hopefully I won't have any BIOS problems. Do you, by any chance, know what these alleged problems were, or maybe have a link or something?

Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully I can order it today. :D

we got a rebel without a cause on our hands boys! I'll bet he drinks toilet water cause everyone else drinks bottled liquid. you rule man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom