Data wiping software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly_dodo

Beta member
I'm doing some research for a charity that sends computers to Africa (at the moment mainly Tanzania).

People and buisnesses from all over England donate to us and often they have senstaive information stored on their old PCs that they do not want other people to be able to acsess ever. I have done a lot of searches myself and found hundreds of both free and commercial data wiping utilities all saying that they can do the job. Unfortunately I do not have the time to go through and test them all myself so, my question is this:

Are there any specific data wiping utilities (both for specific data wiping, as in a few files here and there and total disk wipes) that any of you could reccomend. If I can get a nice list of twenty or so recommended programs it will make my life much easier, and remember its for a good cause!

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

(If you want to check out our website its at
www.computers4africa.org.uk)

Thanks, at the moment DBAN is what we are reccomending to our donators as it seems to be the best freeware wiping utility.

Unfortunately my boss still wants me to make a token report, just to show people that we have done our homework and that our suggestions are trustworthy etc, so if you know of any other half decent ones that I can run some tests on, I will state in my report that I researched on forums such as this to find a list of reccomended software and ran tests specifically on those. (Which I will do after having compiled a reccomended list) So far reccomended all I have is DBAN and Blancco.

I might just end up picking random extras out of the database I have compiled but if anyone has any ideas of other wiping utilities I could test it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom