How should I oil my video card fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
My HIS x1800gto IceQ3 fan has gotten kind of loud lately. Its bugging me since it used to be completely quiet but now when I turn the computer on its really loud. Its not as loud when I turn the speed up to full after running for a little bit but its still louder than it used to be.

So how should I oil it without risking the oil being spun onto the computer???

Why would you oil the blades of the fan? That won't do anything...

What you do is turn the fan over so you see the sticker on the back. Take the stick off and you'll reveal a hole with a shaft in it and a few plastic washers that hold it in. Take a drop of a Teflon-based lubricate and place it inside the hole. Try not to get any on the surface or the sticker won't stick anymore. If the sticker won't stick, wipe off the surface and put a piece of tape over it. You need to keep the hole covered so as not to get dirt inside.

All fans do, yes. The question is, is it accessible?

You'll most likely have to take the whole fan assembly off of the card and turn it over. Though, if there are some screws holding the fan part to the heat sink that you can access, that might work too.

i didnt have any oil when my geforce 3 ti200 fan crapped out so i sprayed it down with some PAM. Haha. It actually ended up working. We'll see what happens in the long run.

Shumway said:
Oh man,Your advice just keep's getting better and better :rolleyes: Think it's time to start wearing the old helmet again.

The old brain turns to mush at 1AM in the morning :bald:

You should probably use grease, since thats usually whats in there to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom