error message!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosunknown

Baseband Member
On my computer there is no dvd drive on it, just a cd-rw drive on it. So I took a cd/dvd drive combo from a different computer that I own and installed it in the second drive slot on my computer. After doing that I booted up my computer and it made this weird beep noise and then showed some information about my computer, and at the bottom of the screen it said error 116. Seeing as this happened right after I put in the cd/dvd drive I know thats got to be the error. Can anyone help me to fix this so I can start using my cd/dvd drive?

That is probably the problem.

M_a2.gif

You will need tweezers or very fine fingernails, and on the back of the drive, you'll see a white pin. On the drive, there will be a sticker describing "CS, SL, MA". Locate "SL" and place the pin where it should go.

On the other drive, your old one, place the pin in that one where the "MA" should be placed.

You'll have to take the drive out of the computer. Depending on the machine, you might need a screwdriver. And make sure the machine is turned off and unplugged. Also see if the power supply's I/O Switch is set to Off.

Once the CD Drive, locate the jumper settings on the sticker, and make the white pin go where it should go. One drive should be master, and one should be slave. Doesn't matter which one is.

Your drive won't look like this, but this is an example:
jumpers.gif

FYI:

CS is Cable Select.
SL is Slave
MA is Master

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom