upgrading questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerotolerance

Baseband Member
Hi everybody I am brand new to these forums and I hope to get some feedback on this post. I am looking to build a new computer but have some worries if what I am getting will be able to run without heat issues. These are the specs I am leaning towards...
-Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115002&CMP=KNC-GoogleAdwords&ATT=19-115-002
-EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2597917&Tab=1&NoMapp=0
-Aspire X-Discovery Case
http://www.xoxide.com/aspire-x-discovery-black.html
...everything else is taken care of

Here is where my questions come into play...
1) What Asus motherboard model do you recommend for me, and do I need SlI?
2)What kind of quality is EVGA as opposed to BFG...Is there a difference?
3)Will the cpu/gpu be cool enough or will i need a cooler for these (I do not plan to overclock)
I appreciate any opinions or suggestions they will be very helpful. Looking forward to the replies.

1.) Since you did not state a budget, I recommend either the ASUS P5B-E ($151) or the ASUS P5B Deluxe ($180) depending on whether you want to SLI or not. As for whether you need SLI or not; One 8800GTX is more than enough for now, but you may want to consider the possibility of buying another one in the [far] future when the 8800GTX starts to lose its top-end position.

2.) eVGA and BFG are both excellent and reliable companies, although eVGA is usually considered to be the best GPU manufacturer bar none. eVGA also has their step-up program, that lets you upgrade your videocard to a more advanced version and only pay the price difference (provided you have the original invoice), but it is limited to 3 months time. Is there a difference between the two companies? Lets just say that you'll be happy with either of them.

3.) If you don't overclock then the stock coolers on the two pieces of hardware should suffice. Factory speeds are certainly impressive on the Core 2 Duos, but overclocking has its own reasons. With overclocking, you can take a 2.4Ghz E6600 to 3.2Ghz or beyond. This kind of potential is unrivaled, and has been unseen for years. For me, not overclocking is not an option. Since it is without significant risk, it's a no-brainer for me to increase the speed of my processor with negligible detrimental effects. I consider not overclocking to be akin to taking a 3.2Ghz+ processor, and underclocking it to 2.4Ghz, for no apparent reason. Even if the 2.4Ghz is enough for you, I do not understand why one would want to run their processor at a slower speed than it can handle. For this reason, I would also suggest you go with the E6600, since it will overclock just as far as the E6700.

One more question...If i am running the 8800gtx, will my BFG 650watt ps be enough? Also, I am looking for a nice case with plenty of cooling (not watercooling) for my components...I am looking for a black or silver case...maybe alluminum. If you guys have any suggestions or recommendations, post them up because I am very picky with my case. Oh yeah, I am mainly concerned with a case that will be big enough for the 8800 because i hear its a monster. THanks for the help.

That will be enough power. And many different cases will hold the 8800gtx. The case I use has a ton of room and tons of fans, but costs $300. There are several threads on different forums discussing whether cases will fit these cards. Also, if you go to newegg.com and read reviews of cases you are interested in, many of them will address whether the case will fit the 8800's.

zerotolerance said:
One more question...If i am running the 8800gtx, will my BFG 650watt ps be enough? Also, I am looking for a nice case with plenty of cooling (not watercooling) for my components...I am looking for a black or silver case...maybe alluminum. If you guys have any suggestions or recommendations, post them up because I am very picky with my case. Oh yeah, I am mainly concerned with a case that will be big enough for the 8800 because i hear its a monster. THanks for the help.

First read this. Don't click on any of the links below without reading that.

This is the PSU I recommend.

And this case.

Eclipse you have helped me 100% of the way all my questions have been answered well past my satisfaction level. Now I can really start my upgrades with no worries. Thanks for all your help.

:) Glad I could help. You had most of the parts figured out already, so that made it easier. That should come out to be a great system though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom