Multi-monitor rig... mobo? cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippy2023

Beta member
Noob seeks advice and I couldn't find anything in the forum... I've actually built ~30 custom systems over the last 4 years but never with more than one monitor. This rig is finally for me :) but will need to be dual monitor with the capability to go to 4 monitors eventually.

My first thing is getting a core2duo w/4MB cache. Shouldn't go wrong there as my primary use will not be gaming but running a lot of low level applications at once. 2 Gb of dual channel corsair (not value select).

I believe I will not be unhappy with that start. My hiccup comes when getting mobo and graphics card. I've read enough to stay away from sli for now--in addition to not needing ridiculous frame rates.

So it looks like I should get a mobo with 2 pci-e 16 slots. This should allow me to get a graphics card with two dvi's for an initial dual monitor setup with future ability to go to 4 monitors? I know it seems a simple question but I don't want to find out later that I screwed up royally going this way.

I found a mobo with sli ~$140 from Asus. Anything wrong with going with Asus? I've used them for all my friend's rigs and never had a problem. Just open to suggestions if someone things there are better quality boards for same or little more price.

Advice, comments? Thx in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom