EVGA 680i Board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Power supply Advice.

FourTwenny said:
Ok i am picking out my psu today and ordering tomorrow morning. I have got in narrowed down to 2 choices.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=010076&cid=PS.808

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=011959&cid=PS.808

I will be running a e6600, evga 680i mobo, 7900gs, 4 sata hard drives ( 2 raptures 2 caviars ) 1 120mm fan 4 80mm fans 2 gig of 800mhz ,undecided soundcard, after market heat sync OR water cooling, floppy

I know with this build not to much power is needed. But the day Crysis comes out i am putting a 8800 in their, and eventually a a second 8800. Also i have not bought my processor yet and i keep hearing rumors of quad cores dropping dramatically in price. If that happens i will be slappin a quad core in their too. Would 700 w be enough for a qc and duel 8800's plus water cooling, or will i need the 850 w for the extra 100 canadian dollars. Keep in mind i do not want to have to replace a psu anytime in the next 5 years.

Please, dont hijack threads.
(In case you didnt know)
Hijacking a thread is basically just changing the topic on purpose

Start a new topic asking about which powersupply to get.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah i heard about the 680i having problems, but if i can just update the bios then i guess its ok.

But, just incase i run into problems i wont buy that board until they have it completely fixed. So what board should i buy instead?

The gigabyte one? Is it good, can it overclock decently?

Yea the gigabyte 965P-DS3, is supposedly one of the best for overclocking C2Ds.

Sorry my last post was an accident, i was trying to start a new thread but my head was else ware. I tried to edit and delete it but it would not let me. Sorry. I know this seems very rude.

ps The evga Board is completely fixed, I repeat completely fixed. Kings post was about a problem from about 2 months ago. Like i said it is fixable with a driver update and bios flash. No issues with this board.

FourTwenny said:
It can run a quad core and 1200mhz ram. Six s-ata hook ups, better faster chip set.

Yes the 680i is a bit more expensive but the future proof aspects of it alone make it worth it, not to mention how fast you can oc on this board.

ps. i bought a 680i already.

P5B Deluxe. It can run a Quad Core and 1200Mhz RAM (WTF are you doing with 1200Mhz RAM anyway?! Looking for a 4.2Ghz E6300?!). It has 7 (read: seven) SATA hookups (6 internal, 1 external), and a chipset that can break 500FSB.

"How fast you can OC..." Are you proposing that the eVGA 680i somehow makes you capable of moving your fingers around faster, or magically resets the BIOS for you, or moves up the FSB by 5Mhz by itself? How is the eVGA 680i any faster at Overclocking than, say, the P5B Deluxe? And explain this "better, faster chipset" since I highly doubt that you understand the technical aspects behind the chipset.

FourTwenny said:
Ok i am picking out my psu today and ordering tomorrow morning. I have got in narrowed down to 2 choices.

You need to read this.

alexsabree said:
then why is the 680i so much better?

Simply? It's not.

Lets look at other motherboards that can overclock well, but that don't cost nearly as much; they go to 500FSB+. 500 FSB x 7 = 3500MHz on a E6300. If you were to get one of the soon-to-be-released E4300s, it would be 500 x 9 = 4500Mhz. I highly doubt that you will ever reach 500FSB with either processor. And my point gets more obvious when you get into the other C2D processors (After all, who's going to buy a $270 680i motherboard and then get a E6300, eh?). As soon as you reach the 8x multi, the E6400, you see that it would be 4Ghz. I hope I don't need to point out to anyone the likelihood of a C2D owner hitting 4Ghz on air cooling, much less 4.5Ghz or 5Ghz on the E6600/E6700. So you see, even if the 680i motherboard is capable of 550+ FSB, it doesn't matter! Because you're never going to get that far. If you're going for a world record like some do on XS, then yes, by all means go for this motherboard since it is excellent for that purpose. But if you're just an average joe of the computer world on Air or Water cooling, then you more than likely don't have the resources to take the FSB beyond what cheaper motherboards offer.

wow trieclipse... i understand what your saying....

but i dont mind spending extra money for quality, and more bios options. Its not always about PURE performance (imo)

Define quality though. Less likely to fail? Other motherboards are not likely to fail either.

As for more BIOS options; what're you going to do with them? Most of those are for tweaking the last 5Mhz out of a 4500Mhz Core 2 Duo. And I don't see why you would pay so much more for just that.

Winning 10 grand aside. :p

TriEclipse said:
Define quality though. Less likely to fail? Other motherboards are not likely to fail either.

As for more BIOS options; what're you going to do with them? Most of those are for tweaking the last 5Mhz out of a 4500Mhz Core 2 Duo. And I don't see why you would pay so much more for just that.

Winning 10 grand aside. :p

lol, you saw that thread.. yeah.

Ive never really had a good motherboard. so i guess i thought maybe if my abit as8 had good options and it was cheap, this must have a boatload. But most of them probably wont even be touched.

So even with the 10 grand i might just go for the ds3

btw: triEclipse check your private message folder, i sent you a message about powersupply. Since you probably haven't seen a notification then u probably have it filled up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom