Does SP2 have better USB support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shriker

Beta member
Hi all,
I just got a new USB card reader and a replacement and both are very temperamental in when they decide to work or see cards put into it, often giving I/O errors.
I use XP SP1 and basically i need to know if Windows XP SP2 has better support for card readers that would fix this like the sellers tell me. The thing is i dont want to install SP2 for various reasons.
Ive got the latest USB drivers for the motherboard (SiS 748 chipset) and as far as i can see everything looks good system wise.

thx

I find USB does work better in SP2, with no service packs at all, It was giving me errors with my USB. Stuff like (You are plugging in a USB 2.0 device in a USB 1.1 Port) and stuff like that.

I also agree there is better USB protocol with SP2, as much as i dont like the service pack, unfortunatly it's become another one of those thing's that are needed. unless you run Linux.
I also have problems with the USB card and my onboard USB, i get a lot of IRQ's. but my mobo wont allow me to change them. is this the kind of problem you are having ?

tranquilprime said:
I also have problems with the USB card and my onboard USB, i get a lot of IRQ's. but my mobo wont allow me to change them. is this the kind of problem you are having ?

What happens is the card is recognised on first pluging in and seems to work ok usually, but as soon as a memory card is taken out the next one will usually refuse to read giving an 'I/O Error' even if its the same one being put back in. Or sometimes the reader will just completely drop out. Does this with CF and SD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom