comp wont switch off after changing psu

Status
Not open for further replies.

saddler1red

Solid State Member
Hi all

Hope you can help, my Psu blew so i ordered another one after fitting it i turned on the pc and the lights and the fan started thing is i had no POST nothing no beeps and noticed both leds on the front were solid no flashing on the hdd led just solid.

So i decided to hold in the power button for 4 sec to switch it off but nothing and reset didnt work either, so had to switch off from the plug.

Could this be the board shorting, bad Psu or mobo nacked?
cheers
Saddler:confused:

so you turn on the pc and it posts
it will not boot to windows
it will not shut off by holding the button in for more than 5 seconds
the HD activity light stays on

power off , remove all the cards ( if you have a video card reseat, do not remove) and disconnect all the floppy hd cdrom cables, unplug same devices power.
reseat your ram
then power on see if it will post, then hold in the button , see if it will turn off. I am thinking you may have lost a HD or cdrom.

Hi thanks for your reply, but no it does not POST no beeps no display and no hdd noise just fans on and front leds on solid but nothing else.

I have held in the power button for about 40 secs but no shut down.
i will try reseating everything again.
cheers

Hi craze
yes i was thinking that but would everything still come on eg: led lights and cpu fan?

Well it depends. There is a lot of circuitry on a mother board, you can fry a portion of it and have one part work, but other parts not work.

I'm not saying it's for sure fried, but it's a possibility.

Sorry read it wrong, thought you were getting a post

is it an intel processor , did you install the other 2 x 2 power connector

if you did not test your old power supply, yes it could be the mainboard.

Hi LA1
No its AMD, yes i installed the 2x2 connecter but also tried it out and had the same results.
cheers

Disconnect everything from the board. Video card, RAM, CPU...everything except power and the power button cables and the internal speaker. Turn it on and see if it beeps at you (it should start flipping out). If not, it's almost definitely dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom