Building an Intel rig, compatibility questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrax

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I've build a few Athlon rigs before, but never an Intel rig. An Intel newbie of sorts. :p

I'll be building a rig soon for a friend of my sisters, and just wondering if all of these would be compatible:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, 1.86GHz, LGA775,
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 Intel P965
Western Digital 300GB Serial ATA
Kingston VALUERAM DDR2 1GB PC2 4200 DUAL CHANNEL 2x512MB DDR2 533MHZ CL4
Viewsonic VA703b 17" 8ms
Inno3D GeForce 7900 GS 256MB, PCI Express
Asustek DRW-1608P3 16x
Logitech X-230 2.1 6watt Satellites 20watt Sub
OverclockersNZ Elite ATX Mid Tower Case, 420W PSU, Black

Thanks in advance.

Yeah it looks compatible.

Just check google to see if that ram is compatible with that board.

Also try to see if your friend can save up a little money and get the e6600. The main feature of the c2d is the 4mb cache, he/she will get a big performance boost if she goes a step up.

Yeah, I've suggested things like that to her, but her budget doesn't allow for that, her being a university student and all.

Just another question while the board's here, installing a C2D cpu is the same as installing an Athlon one? Can still use that Artic Silver paste on em?

cyrax said:
Just another question while the board's here, installing a C2D cpu is the same as installing an Athlon one? Can still use that Artic Silver paste on em?

The installation procedure is similar, except the socket has a "load plate" which you have to open before inserting the CPU. Just press and then lift a small lever to do it. Then put the CPU in, close the plate, and push the lever back into the locked position (might require a bit of force).

You will also notice Core 2 Duo CPUs don't have pins anymore, just small golden contacts. This is for the best, since it eliminates the danger of breaking a pin during installation/removal.

Also, of course you can (and should!) use Arctic Silver 5.

Socket LGA 775 (also known as socket T) for Core 2 Duo processors:

Socket775.png

Socket LGA 775 with load plate open:

liquid_open_socket.jpg

Cyrax, that's a good build as long as your sister's friend does not intend to do any overclocking. :p

Private_Shon said:
umm guys is it just me or is the motherboard the wrong socket?

:freak: ?

What're you talking about?

alexsabree said:
Yeah it looks compatible.

Just check google to see if that ram is compatible with that board.

Also try to see if your friend can save up a little money and get the e6600. The main feature of the c2d is the 4mb cache, he/she will get a big performance boost if she goes a step up.

The RAM is compatible. And there won't be a big performance boost from the 4MB L2 cache, only is synthetic benchmarks like SuperPi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom