Can't boot Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamacat104

Beta member
My niece's computer wouldn't turn on at all. I installed new power supply and it started right up. it booted to where I had the task bar with the start button, but none of the icons on the desktop loaded.
I did Ctrl/Alt/Del to reboot and it went to the screen telling me it was going to go into Safe Mode. I clicked okay and it appeared that it was going to boot into it...but instead, the Scandisk popped up. It sat a couple minutes, then popped up an error message saying that Scandisk could not read Fat on drive C and that scandisk could not fix. I clicked OK and it appeared to be booting (the windows screen was there)...then suddenly I got the message
"While initializing Device VKD - Windows protection Error - You need to restart your computer"
then up popped the message that it was safe to turn off the computer.
I turned it off, back on to boot again. Once again, same problem... I can't get into safe mode.
I hooked up brand new keyboard to the computer...same problem.
Am I going to have to reformat and reinstall all the programs, or is there something I can do to clear up the problem without having to do that? HELP!!! It will not boot...

thanks
Barbara

If it doesnt find any bad sectors you can try and assuming you prob. have 98 or ME on how you are discribing it you can try scanreg /restore from the c:\windows\command folder you can do that at the dos promt if you have 98 you can hit F8 and choose i think command prompt only or something like that. Just something to try before going threw a dffr:)

thanks,
I'll try that. Yes, I'm sorry...did forget to put down the OS. It is Windows 98. I tried the Scandisk from the Dos prompt, but still it gives me the error that it can't read the FAT on Drive C. I've never run into that before, so was hoping there was a way to fix it without having to completely format and reinstall everything.
Is there a way with Dos, to access the Cab files and do a restore of the Windows 98?
thanks
Barbara

While Initializing Device VKD — Windows Protection Error — You Need to Restart Your Computer {KB 263318} Win95, Win98 (During startup. Keyboard is not working correctly.)

Thanks,
I figured out the windows protection error had to do with the keyboard. My biggest problem is that Scandisk won't read the fat file on drive C and so it can't fix any errors.
I've tried doing ScanReg/autoscan, and it looks like it is starting, but does nothing but sit there. I can't access anything but DOS. I can get into the dos files, but not sure how to reload windows 98 from DOS. I had a CD of Windows 98, but of course, at this time, I can't locate it. UGH!!! I'm at a point, I think it is going to have to be reformated and reloaded or she will need to buy a newer computer..
thanks for your help
Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom