best mobo for 8800GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzjess

In Runtime
and what ram goes with that mobo -- all that ram stuff and speeds confuses me. thanks for any help

Maybe you should read up on all of that "ram stuff and speeds that confuse you" before buying a system housing a 8800gtx. lol

Anthrax I am surprised you did not suggest the dfi icfx3200. :D

well sorry

i was going to buy a prebuilt but u guys talked me into building even though i didnt understand all that stuff

There is no particular motherboard that is especially designed for the 8800GTX. Any motherboard will be just like any other. The P5B-E is a good choice, although the vanilla P5B is not.

If you aren't overclocking, then DDR2-553 or DDR2-667 is fine. If you are going to be overclocking, then get DDR2-800.

And learn some more. If RAM confuses you, there is no way you'll be able to overclock right away.

lancec2c30 said:
Anthrax I am surprised you did not suggest the dfi icfx3200. :D

Oh I would, but theres no way a guy like this could handle the amount of options in the BIOS, if he can't even understand the difference between ram and a VGA card.

Alright, seeing as you're new to this, let me explain RAM. The "DDR" in memory means "Double Data Rate." This means that for every clock cycle that the memory goes through, there is an instruction sent on the rise as well as the fall of the clock cycle. This means that for every actual clock cycle, there are 2 effective clock cycles. That's what the DDR2-XXX speed denotes. DDR2-533 is memory that is actually at 266Mhz, but is effectively 533Mhz. Same with DDR2-800; Actually 400Mhz, effectively 800Mhz.

You memory is supposed to run at a 1:1 ratio with your FSB, which on Core 2 Duos is 266Mhz. For this reason, DDR2-533 memory is the memory needed to run a Core 2 Duo system without any overclocking at all. However, some motherboards will take higher-clocked memory and automatically set a ratio that runs the memory at the higher speed (DDR2-667, DDR2-800, DDR2-1066) even if the FSB is at 266Mhz. You can change this setting, and you will have to change it if you want to overclock.

Read this guide for a basic review of Overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom