$2500 build review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. Not at you, at PCP&C.

First of all, I want to know what "these high-end graphics cards" are. Seeing as they're using an FX-60, and seeing as the G80 is a relatively recent release (and that their "new myth each month" would put #5 at quite a few months back), I think its safe to say that they aren't using Dual 8800GTX video cards.

After having that established, I call bollocks. :p Their claim is too ridiculous to be real (the Silverstone 600W has 55Amps). No, I'll wait for someone more reputable, and not someone who doesn't only put out 610W, 750W, and 1kW PSUs on Newegg to say something on the matter. Honestly, you would get the exact opposite response on a website of another low-Watts PSU maker.

The problem comes from that fact that while many reviewers on websites have above-average knowledge about computers, they aren't exactly experts in PSUs. Most of them will say, "Oh, I ran this, this, and this on this wattage PSU and it works." They don't know much past that. :confused:

That said, 30 Amps is just the requirement for a good PSU. When running something like Dual 8800GTXs, I'd look for around 45 Amps. I wouldn't try to run Dual 8800GTXs on the Forton, for example. :confused:

How unfortunate. Since so many people on these forums cite PCP&C as great PSU makers (which they probably still are) I didn't expect them to feel the need to be misleading.

Despite all this, I still wonder why I shouldn't just invest in a heavy PSU now, so should I care to SLI in the future, I wouldn't need to buy another PSU.

Thanks for all the info, I might have more questions later.

PCP&C are do indeed put out good PSUs, but a lot of their lower ones are also rebranded. Granted, they rebrand great PSUs, but still. I know Silverstone is a common target for PCP&C.

As for a heavy PSU now...72 Amps? 850Watts? Are you kidding me?

If you want a heavy PSU, then get the Antec True Power Trio. 550W and 54 Amps.

I don't care anymore. Stop trying to poke holes in what I say. I don't care about what some corporate website says, alright? Not PCP&C's website, not Nvidia's website. This is starting to get on my nerves.

What do they have to gain? Tell me this; What do they have to lose? Nothing. They do it because it gives them a more "1337" image among gamers, and also makes people think that they need crazy PSUs.

For the record, Nvidia recommends a 450W PSU for a single 8800GTX. That recommendation is for the whole system, not the one videocard. About 1/3rd of that would go to the PSU. A second 8800GTX doesn't take that much more power.

And I posted that Inquirer article in my PSU thread, you should read the whole thing.

TriEclipse said:
I don't care anymore. Stop trying to poke holes in what I say. I don't care about what some corporate website says, alright? Not PCP&C's website, not Nvidia's website. This is starting to get on my nerves.

What do they have to gain? Tell me this; What do they have to lose? Nothing. They do it because it gives them a more "1337" image among gamers, and also makes people think that they need crazy PSUs.

For the record, Nvidia recommends a 450W PSU for a single 8800GTX. That recommendation is for the whole system, not the one videocard. About 1/3rd of that would go to the PSU. A second 8800GTX doesn't take that much more power.

And I posted that Inquirer article in my PSU thread, you should read the whole thing.

See, I saw his line of questioning and replies and knew it would turn out this way.
But I presisted cause I just couldn't let him buy a TT. :D
(Im not saying TT's are bad, just that PC P&C Is better for less.)

Drama.

Why don't you just buy a car battery and power it via that? 8)

Take their advice, if not stick to your own guns, if you have money to waste then go ahead.

Ste said:
See, I saw his line of questioning and replies and knew it would turn out this way.
But I presisted cause I just couldn't let him buy a TT. :D
(Im not saying TT's are bad, just that PC P&C Is better for less.)

You could've warned me! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom