Heres the scenario...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adzh

In Runtime
I havn't even recieved my parts yet, i baught it all and it's due on thursday (In my sig).

I told myself i wouldn't overclock, "theres no need to adam, this will run stuff fine as it is, whats the point".

Then i read other peoples views, one being "not overclocking an e6600 wouldnt even be an option, why keep it underclocked @ 2.4 when its capable of much more, and safely"

This has convinced me, now, your opinions on that? And a little more, i've never overclocked, i've read a little bit about it, i'm not certain that im confident, but i won't jump straight into it.

Heres my motherboard - now i have no clue if this is any decent, overclocking wise, or what, im not sure, im not even sure how overclocking a CPU affects the mobo or w/e, or whether i'd be O/Cing them both.

Moreover - the only cooling that'll be going on in on the CPU is the stock stuff, whatever comes with it. BUT, i have got the Antec900 coming my way, and apparently the cooling in it, is a beast.

Whats your opinions on the matter? I don't want to leave it at its stock speed if it can go alot higher with ease.

(PS my friend has it stock, same case, same PSU, same gfx too actually lol ;p @ 3ghz.)

Thanks in advance.

(PS im not asking HOW to do so (yet) im just asking opinions, and how high you actually reckon i could get it with the stock cooling and the antec900's sick cooling).

Ok, after reading into Overclocking PSUs for a little while and speaking to my friend, i think i get the general drift, can someone tell me if im on the right tracks...

-------

E6600 2400 @ default.
So the FSB will be 240 (presuming the multiplyer is 10 @ default?)
Notch the FSB up by _5_ ? so it then becomes 245 (x10), therefore making my CPU speed 2450?

I then boot up and run a stress and stability test, if everything is ok i notch the FSB up another 5, then being 250, making the clock speed 2500mhz?

then another stability test, if its ok, continue another 5?

if it starts getting unstable knock the voltage up? (if so by how much?)

Am i right here, just let me know if im on the right tracks.

PS how high do you think i could get with the info i gave you (my setup, stock cpu cooling w/ antec900 case.

(technical specifications say the FSB speed is 1066Mhz though, where am i getting confused?)

That's one of the best overclocking motherboards for the C2Ds. You have the correct idea, on how to overclock. When turning up the voltage just do it by very small increments, until it becomes stable. But you don't want to do it too much. With stock cooling and the antec 900, you could probably reach 3.0GHz+.

I am also curious about overclocking the C2D's. I ordered the system in my sig but it hasnt come yet too, and My final goal is to get the zalman 9500 and get the e6400 at 400x8 3.2ghz, but what are the "stress tests" or "stability tests" that you take to make sure its stable or whatnot?

Also, i chose 400x8 because i am getting ddr2-800 ram and it would be easy to run it at 1:1, but if i cant get it at 400, maybe 350, do i just lower the ram and let it run at 350mhz or do i change the ratio and let the ram run at 400 or higher and keep the fsb at 350?

Thanks b1gapl again, but can you also give me a figure / numbers on how small i should be rising the voltages?

Am i correct in finding out the E6600 only does multipliers of 9 and under? Which would be the best?

I've also just baught 2GB CorsairTwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800) RAM.

I don't quite understand about the ram/cpu relationship that higach spoke about. How does the multiplier affect RAM? I don't understand the 1:1 ratio he also talks about.

(PS im going to invest in a Zalman for sure.)

For stability, you run prime95.....preferably 8hrs-24hrs. The longer the better.

Definitely invest in a Zalman when overclocking.

I heard "Orthos" is better?

So you mean even if i just notch the FSB up by 5 i have to do an 8-24hour stability test? Or only when i start getting higher?

Seems like a long process.

(I also want to maximize my RAM performance, if someone could head me onto a tutorial / explanation of what Higach was talking about i'd be greatful)

The longer you run it, the better it is for the long term, but 8hrs is pretty good. 24Hrs would be the ultimate stability. Just run it when you go to bed.

Thanks, finally will my RAM cause any problems, and do you suggest i do anything with it?

After reading some more i was advised to keep the multiplier @ 9.

I don't think your ram will cause any problems. That ram and speed is good for overclocking. But I don't know much about ram when it comes to overclocking. So the more experienced members here will clear that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom