What kind of DDR2 Ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sneaky Dee

Beta member
Hi everybody! First time posting a thread. I'm a newbie as far as computers go, and I've got 1 GB DDR2 ram in my computer, upgradable to 4GB. So I want to add another 1 Gig ram. However, I'vr noticed that prices vary widely for ram, and I'm wondering if anybody can recommend specific brands, and things to look out for when buying ram. (Which brands to avoid altogether, etc...) What exactly is the difference between good rams and crappy ones?

Thanks!

If you are going to upgrade to another 1 gig of ram, what is your current ram's speed and timings. Try to get the same exact ram you have now, so you can run them in dual channel.

Do I have to open up my computer to access that info, or is there some way to find out through 'control panel' or 'my computer'?

No, download that program gmanych mentioned. It will tell you all the ram info you need to tell us.

Okay, REALLY stupid question time...I've downloaded CPU-Z, but I can't figure out how to make it scan my ram and give me the info.
It doesn't say anything about scanning ram, and the help feature isn't helping.

After you extracted all the files to a folder, in the folder theres an icon that says, cpuz. Just double click that, and when it loads, go to the memory tab, and it will tell you.

Okay, CPU-Z wasn't working for me, so I just went ahead and opened up my computer and peeked in. The ram I've got in there is a Kingmax KLBD48K-A8HD4, 1 GB DDR2-533. Now, based on what b1gapl said as far as running in dual channel, I'm assuming
that I have to go with another 1GB DDR2-533 right? Does mixing brand names have any adverse effect, any recommendations on brands, or are they all pretty much the same thing? What are the differnces beween good ram chips and bad ones? Lots of questions, I know, but I'm anxious to learn!
Thanks a million.

Yea you would have to get another 1gb DDR2-533 stick. Mixing brand names is ok, as long as both ram sticks are the same speed and timings. Brand names to look for is corsair, ocz, and g.skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom