computer maint. advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

chublake

Baseband Member
I am looking for advice to see if i am doing enough maintenance to my computer. I do the disk cleanup and disk defragmenter. that Windows XP has and the Mcafee Virus computer maintenance program if offers which gets rid of cookies and temporary internet files. Is there any other stuff or cleanup programs that i should use to help keep my computer in top shape.

Ccleaner is an excellent programme, definatly download that one.

Also when installing programmes they have a habit of putting themselfs onto your startup so they load every time you turn the pc on, you may not want this, so click start bar, click run, then type msconfig into the box, when another box pops up click the startup tab and see whats in there, if theres programmes you dont want then just untick them, if your unsure what something is just type the name into google and it will tell you what it is.

I've got a list I've posted several times here on TF, but don't feel like looking it up.

Unistall anything you don't usee. Don't delete, uninstall it.

Download and use Spybot, Ad Aware, and Microsoft Defender. Make sure to update each one before you run it.

Do a virus scan with your antivirus, then do one with an online virus scanner (housecall.trendmicro.com is a good one). Run CCleaner to clean out temp files and stuff. Then run it and use the Issues feature to clean up your registry.

Download and use O&O Disk Defragmenter. Both the freeware version and Pro version are available on majorgeeks.com under Drive Utilities.

Finally, use MSCONFIG as jonny_uk said. By doing it last, you eliminate the need to have to do it twice. Once you reboot, check the box so the box doesn't pop up each time you reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom