Thermal paste opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a vaio too right now, my opinion is get a new pc lol. What temp is your new cpu running at, what kind is it, what type of cooling do you have on it, are you sure its your cpu heating up and not your power supply ( my vaio has the worst psu ever ) .

Arctic Alumina Premium Ceramique Polysynthetic Thermal Compound

I would go with that just because its made from aluminum oxide and boron nitrate, the other is made from silver. If i remember right the aluminum will transfer heat faster and cool down quicker, meaning more heat escaping your cpu.

FourTwenny, i have 4 computers at my place and if u havent noticed, im using the one thats in my signature..lol my vaio is a back up pc running 1ghz (before 868mhz). And yes i know its my cpu that heating up because it tells me 48C in my BIOS, the only fans that are on my vaio is PSU and my video card.

so ur saying ceramic paste is better than silver gunk ? sounds good

thnx bud

AS5...the ceramique is used for mostly holding ram heatsinks on that only have the thermal compound holding them on (i think :p), but the as5 is a tried and true thermal compound (the standard thermal compound for enthusiast overcolockers).

Make sure when you put it on, you only need about two "grains of rice" size drops. I spread myn out with a credit card ( some don't even spread it out and let the heatsink spread it out but w/e you find more convenient for you i guess). I sterilize the edge , cpu surface, and heatsink surface with 90+% isopropyl alcohol and using q-tips to make sure its nice and clean, since dust particles can conduct heat and thats bad for your cpu :p.

Too bad its a prebuilt or i would have wished you luck on overclocking, but good luck on the lower temps ;).

i think im gonna use the Arctic Alumina Premium Ceramique Polysynthetic Thermal Compound because i hav other systems that are overclocked and also need good quality paste to cool them off. The AS5 sound like its for standard users so im going to leave that a side.
BTW its 1 grain for older cpus (socket A)370pin and 2 Grain for newer ones like the Althon 64 im using.
i wish i can put more fans on that vaio, but im telling theres seriously no room in that case, i was thinking moving it to a mid size tower but dont have any I/O back plats.

Silver compound >> ceramic compound

the thermal conductivity is given in different ways for the 2 compounds so look at the thermal resistance. you want the resistance to be as low as possible.

Artic Silver 5 is over 200% less resistive to heat transfer than the ceramic compound.

think about it, which is better at transfering heat? metal or ceramics
metal ftw!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom