xp home install

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancec2c30

Future ex-member
Okay, now before I reformat my sisters hp and reinstall windows I want to know something. I have a windows xp home install disc now, but cannot use the cd key that came with it because it is for another computer. Can I use the cd key off of the side of the hp tower to activate windows. I am pretty sure you can but don't want to really f up the computer.

is it an xp home for an hp or is it one you bought from a store. if you bought it from a store the COA on the HP wont work thats only for OEM XP's and ones you buy from a store are considered retail. they have a different algorithm so the keys wont work. also you cant use a dell disk for an hp and etc.

i want to say it should work, but those coa's can be tricky. if you had the xp cd that came with the hp you would be much safer

Well I dont. The computer is like 3 yrs old. and I havent given it a thought in over a year. But my sister is in my room everytime I look away because here computer is too slow. :) so I am trying to get her to go away.

If it's the same key for the same computer, even if it doesn't *automatically* activate, you can call Microsoft (they give you the number to call) and explain that you reinstalled the same version and the key is the one that goes with the computer, and they will give you an activation code.

disconnect the internet, stick the xp disc in and select install. pick the upgrade option. enter your serial.

if it accepts it, it will go to the next step. then you hit esc to stop the install. if it don't accept it, it will say wrong serial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom