Building new desktop, help please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyrodog783

Baseband Member
Hi im basically upgrading my old pc, but i have many questions because this is my first build. I use it dominantly for gaming... COD, F.E.A.R, and stuff like that, but anyway i can spend up to $600- I need a new moniter, psu, mobo, processer, and case. I basically want to know if my old things will be compatible with the new things I buy, well here it is...

here is what i know about my ram, cards, psu, ect.
my pc is a 2002 dell dimension 8250

RAM: 2 sticks of 128mb samsung

Soundcard: Sound Blaster Live

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce (450 i think)

Wireless Card: Airplus Xtreme G DWL-G520

Hardrive: 120gb

Processer: Intel Pentium 4 2.66ghz

uknown card: it reads FD and LNK/ACT has a ethernet plugin

uknown card: has a pic of a phone, also has 2 phone line plugins(connects to my soundcard with a wire)

PCI chips: made by dell but idk what they do? never seen them in a pc cept mine.

MOBO: doesnt say what kind

*sorry if my info is kindof sucky lol , I did my best though,

*1.anyway, im confused because my mobo has 7 pci slots and im not sure if i need those other cards or the funky pci chips i mentioned.
*2.what are the funky PCI chips?
*3.Which is a mobo and processer thats good for gaming AMD or Intel?
*4.if i switch to AMD will my stuff be compatible with it? besides the mobo of course.
*5.will my hardrive work when I use it with the new mobo/psu i choose? or will I have to clean it of all its files?
*6.will all my cards/ram work with my new mobo?
*7.and will my old Ram be compatible with the mobo?

sorry about my nubishness...

btw heres a list of new parts I am going to buy unless you guys say otherwise...

new case: APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower

new power supply: APEVIA ICEBERG ATX-IB680W-BL ATX12V / EPS12V 680W

Moniter: Hanns·G HW-191DPB Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD

Mobo: BIOSTAR TForce6100-939 Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Processer: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 2.4GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939

(I know there are better products but as long as these dont suck, then im fine, suggestions are encouraged though)

whew, im tired of typing...

thanks a ton...

RAM - is RDRAM and no motherboards are really made with that anymore. it was good for its day but died out so you will need new ram.

for your questions..

1) it depends what the cards are and do you use them?
2)on the documention for your board i dont see anything funky lol so try to find out what that is
3)AMD x2 or a pentium D, 600 is hard for a c2d.
4)yeah like you said your mobo, also your memory like i said its not compatible with anything anymore.
5)you will have to wipe your hard drive when you get new hard ware, windows xp has a hal layer that stops you from using the the install with new hardware like mobo, cpu, etc.
6)graphics is old agp4x, you dont really want that, you can get a decent pci-e 16x with in your budget. and again the ram wont work with anything.
7)again ram wont work with anything.

power supply - is overkill you dont need that many watts

monitor - is pretty nice

mobo - again good for a budget

cpu - good but i would go with an x2 if you go with amd

hope it helps alittle.

You will need new ram, figure about $100 per gb
PSU is overkill, I agree. Depending on what graphics card you choose I still don't think you'd need more than 550w
I didn't see a video listed either, what one were you looking at? a 7600gt or a low end x1900 would be around $150, those are solid mid-range choices.

You shouldn't need any of those expansion cards either. Those are from a time when noting was integrated into the motherboard. Now everything is going to be built right in for you (ethernet, plenty of usb ports, firewire, etc.)

someone finally said something ;) GJ Trotter
I actually read the stickys
and the OP's choice of PSU (APEVIA) was in the NOT RECOMMENDED section

those are good suggestions trotter but its going to be 200 over budget with shipping, hes trying to keep it under 600 and your suggestions are at 800 with shipping. i dont know if that will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom