pwmic, did i stick it on the right thing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazer_viking

In Runtime
i was having issues with my computer emoting a high pitched siren and "slowing down" as i put it. the only way i have any knowledge that it slowed down was that the UPS fan slowed down to it's 25% range, and when the siren stopped the UPS's fan went back up to it's 50% range. also, the CPU, which is in no danger of overheating cools down when the pwmic gets to 60c.
anyway, thats beside the point. i knew something was thresholding because of temperature, and the highest temperature i have is the pwmic. the computer seems to slow down when the pwmic gets to 60c. i know that its rated for a LOT higher, but thats just what my system does lol. so, i stuck one of those "stick on heatsinks" on what i thought at the time was the pwmic from a picture i saw. dfi street is down at the moment so i image googled pwmic and found this picture, circling two things. a chip looking thing, and a yellow thing that i dont see how can be cooled.
expert1copyzk7.gif

so, it looks like the pwmic got a LITTLE benefit from the heatsink, but its still overheating to 60c (a lot lot slower though ^_^)
mbm5ez6.gif

theres a picture of mbm5's dashboard, showing most of the relevant information. (and no, thats not idle lol. thats a few seconds after dual prime95's.

so basically im asking 1) you guy's opinion, did i do the right thing?
2) since this isnt working out, whats a better way to cool pwmic
3) or, better yet, since i know this thing is rated for almost 120c, how can i raise the the threshold where it slows down?

Ok what you put the heatsink on was the right thing and its rated to 120c. Being the threshold is 120c I wouldnt worry about almost 60. You should turn the alarm off and see what it really hits before the system starts slowing down and doing its thing.

Pepsiboy700 said:
Ok what you put the heatsink on was the right thing and its rated to 120c. Being the threshold is 120c I wouldnt worry about almost 60. You should turn the alarm off and see what it really hits before the system starts slowing down and doing its thing.
it starts slowing down AT 60. thats the problem. it goes straight up to 59 without a problem then as soon as it hits 60 theres a soft, high pitched alarm (but nothing you could hear from upstairs or anything) and then the CPU cools down to about 30, and the pwmic cools down to around 55, and the whole thing starts again. how do i get the pwmic to NOT threshold at 60?

Did you check the bios? I also read something about a bios update if you havent do so already. I would say check dfi street but I remember something happened between them and dfi.

no i've never updated my bios or anything like that. im kinda nervous about that because i always hear horror stories about flashes!!!! is there any way to do it from a program while in the operating system? i thought i saw something like that once.

IF someone put a pc in a minifridge and put a few boxes of baking soda (to remove moisture) in there do you think it would be good for it?

yes

no

maybe

GreenMachine said:
IF someone put a pc in a minifridge and put a few boxes of baking soda (to remove moisture) in there do you think it would be good for it?

yes

no

maybe

Are you asking a question? if so you are stealing this guys thread, put it in your own. :D

You just need a floppy and a floppy drive. Doing a bios update from windows can be very dangerous and its actually safer to do from a floppy. Unless your computer blows up or your power goes out the bios upgrade should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom