Need advice on buying a new gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

calurduran

Beta member
Hi all. After a two year experiment running games on my laptop, I've decided to get a new desktop. A few factors have converged to leave me in a bit of a quandry. I'm trying to get as nice a gaming PC as I can for about 2200-2300. The key is that because of the way my job pays me, I'm pretty much limited to places that allow no-interest financing for 6 months (haha, there's a twist). After eliminating companies that have the financing but don't have the hardware (HP, Circuit City), and companies that have the financing but that I can't afford in my budget (Alienware), I'm left with two choices: Dell and Ibuypower.

Both systems are virtually the same price. The IBP might be 100-200 dollars less. Here's are the relevant major differences:

Dell -- The Dell is from the XPS 410 line (an IDENTICAL XPS 710 costs an extra 500 which I won't comment on to be civil). That means it has a pretty small power supply (350w) and comes with a non-DX10 ready graphics card (the 1GB GeForce 7950 GX2 Dual-GPU Card). On the bright side every computer I've ever owned has been a Dell and I've always had good luck with their tech support.

Ibuypower -- the IBP features a GeForce 8800 and is still a bit cheaper. The downside here is that from all I've read IBP is about as disreputable a company as one can find. Customer reviews are almost universally negative about the quality of the manufacturing and the helpfulness of the tech support.

I'll be using the computer mostly for video games. I tend to stick to RPG's of the single-player (Oblivion) and multi-player (WoW, Vanguard:SoH) variety.

Thoughts from the community on the choice?

they are running a 7950gx2 on a 350watt power supply!!!! That is stupid, I dont even think it would boot up.

Why not just build one yourself, can't you find a credit card company that has zero financing for 6 months and just charge the pc to it? THat is what we have always done.

try to build ur own man.. its sooo much cheaper and better

I built my current computer in 1 year.
I would buy one part at a time and it took me a year.

Im 14 and i dont have a job.

If i can do it without a job, you can do it with a job (mayb)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom