transfering info,

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomW

In Runtime
Hello, I have a diffrent Hard drive coming for this PC and was wondering if it is possible to transfer all the stuff from the hard drive in use to the new one rather than going through the whole install 98 and then all the updates and so on to the new hard drive? I have a seagate coming, getting sick of all the troubles with quantum bigfoots all the time. TomW

are u saying u want an exact image of your old hard drive on your new one? If so, find yourself some ghosting software....norton ghost or the like. There are plenty of neat utils around for cloning/imaging and such.

Hi, Yes that is what I want to do, tranfer all the stuff from old hard drive to new one. TomW

what you want is a program called norton Ghost. first create the partitions the way you would like them on the new hard disk with a win98 startup diskette. you can read about how to do this at www.computerhope.com . just do a search on FDISK simulator.

when you use ghost to copy the partition to another hard disk you can have a different size partition on the other hard disk. let's say your old hard disk is:

40GB total capacity with:
10GB for win98 primary partition

30GB logical drive inside extended partition for storing data

and let's say your new hard disk is 120GB with:

120GB total capacity with:
20GB primary partition. you will use this to copy the win98 from the old hard disk

100GB logical drive inside extended partition for storing data

notice the new hard disk you are getting has a larger partition created that you will copy win98 over to it. install both hard disks inside the computer. run Ghost and do a partition-to-partition clone. choose the old hard disk's win98 partition as the source partition (partition win98 will be copied from) and choose the new hard disk's 20GB partition as the destination partition (partition the win98 disk image will be copied to)

Thanks for the computerhope.com site, It looks like a cool site. I like this one alot also. I am running on a 6gig bigfoot at the moment since my 12 gig bigfoot went goofy. I have a 17.2 gig seagate coming that is supost to be Fdisked and formated, Can I use fdisk to see how it is set up? I am assuming I can from what I read on fdisk simulator. I have a disk manager 2000 for quantum hard drives that will transfer stuff from one drive to another but don't know if it only works with quantum drives. TomW

It doesn't hurt to try. if FDISK doesn't read it than no hard done. there should be an fdisk option to view existing partition info. your disk manager 2000 might work like that. the only way to know is to try it. my rule is to always backup your data to another hard disk or CD's, ect before you attempt something like this. better safe than sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom